• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about homemade cages

Anna&Aruan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Beatriz
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum (i'm thinking about making a post in the welcome lane later haha) however, i want the opinion of more experienced parrot keepers on my problem, but first lemme get u some background info.

So, i'm a minor that live with my parents, i always loved all kind of animals and asked for a lot of pets, which they never let me have any. however, last year a friend of my parents had cocktiel babies and gave me one as a present. I got the baby when he was 14 days old and he is now called Aruan (he was born in the 27th of december, so, this month hes gonna be 3 months :) ). Aruan is my first pet of my own (not a familly pet) so, my dad told me that i am the one who has to take care of him and do everything but he and my mom will pay for everything that we need.
And thats where the problem began.

I am giving my baby the best life i can, and i never stop researching about what is best for him, but my dad seems to not to care all that much about Aruan. I know my dad likes to see him around the house and loves to see Aruan flying to me when im trying to leave the room (even tho he and my mom wanted me to clip his wings), but he dont know a lot about cockatiel keeping.
So... he went to buy Aruan's cage by himself and bought a waaaay too small cage for him, and i just feel horrible for my baby living in this tiny thing, and my dad does think that what he did is amazing and that "no dad would buy a 250 reais (my countrys coin) cage for his daughter's pet".
Anyways, i am unable to work at the moment and dont have a lot of money, i know i cant count on him to buy a good cage, so i have been thinking about doing one myself. I have made some research about that and have noticed some things and have some questions now.

All the cages i have seen are made with a wood "skeleton" and i have been asking myself if that wouldnt become too hard to clean, or maybe even grow some mold if i clean that with water. Also, wouldnt the bird chew on the wood?

Another question of mine is about the bottom of the cage. The cage my dad bought has a wire screen in the bottom (pretty much like the wire in the walls) but most cages i see have a flat bottom. I would like to know which is the more apropriate, wouldnt a flat bottom make him walk around in his poop? Or maybe a wire ground have the risk of him hurting himself?

Anyways, i havent talked about his cage with anyone in the internet as i am a little afraid of people judging me, i am really really ashamed of him living in that tiny thing. So... i just really would like to get any tips from you guys, anyone who have had experience in making cages (or maybe even an aviary for a larger bird) has any important knowledge or tips in making an cage? I'd be very gratefull for any tips, things to think or search about or some places to find good information.

Ps: english is my second language, so please ignore any gramatical errors from my part.

Last edited by a moderator:

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
Wire on the bottom of the cage is pretty standard. You shouldn't worry about that.

Good for you for doing your research and wanting what is best for your bird. Well made home built cages position the wood framing outside the wire so it can't be chewed from inside. But the real trick is finding metal wire that won't poison your bird. It can be difficult and expensive.

Have you considered trying to find a used cage in good condition that might be cheap enough that your parents will buy it if you pitch in what you can?

Until you're able to upgrade your cage give your bird all the out of cage time you can.

All you can do is the best you can in the circumstances. You have very limited control given the situation.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Welcome to the avenue!

Don't worry, you're doing the best you can.

There are a few people on AA that use this for cockatiel DIY cages, https://www.amazon.com/Tenax-Hardwa...=1&keywords=plastic+net&qid=1610228645&sr=8-2
Make sure you're using safe wood for the frame.

A wood frame shouldn't be too hard to clean, just the same as perches. It's also the frame, so it'll be hard for them to poop on. The grate at the bottom of some cages prevents the birds from standing on/eating their poop, because plenty of birds do that. My cockatiel does, so I have to keep in the grate. Grates are not very healthy for their feet, so if you can avoid it that's good. It's completely fine to have them though.

You can look through AA threads, there's some great info here!

Anna&Aruan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Beatriz
Thank you guys for answering me :)
Its great to know that wire bottoms are fine, i was getting pretty confused by the cages i saw in the internet haha i will propably stick to wire bottom as i've had problems with my baby trying to eat his poop when he was younger

Until you're able to upgrade your cage give your bird all the out of cage time you can.
Yes, i have been trying to give him as much time outside as i can, he just loves to hang out with me while i have my online classes (i guess thats the good thing about covid right? I just love having his company when learning :xflove:)
I will take a look in second hand cages as well, but i think it might be hard to find a good one around my area

Welcome to the avenue!

Don't worry, you're doing the best you can.
thank you for your kindness :) i really am trying my best but sometimes i feel its not enough. I will for sure check some AA threads and look for a similar wire to the one you linked.