• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about Gender

Tiger_Lily

Moving in
Real Name
Marie
I have a 12 year old African Grey called Billy who me and the previous owners have always thought was a male, but to my surprise on Thursday 'he' lay an egg!! So does this mean that Billy is actually female?? and is age 12 a little old to lay 'her' first egg?

It's been more than 48 hours since that egg so should I expect any more? Is a change in behaviour (really restless) and appetite (barely eating one day, ravenous the next) normal during this time and how long before it returns to normal? Should I do anything extra to help 'her' during this time? E.g extra calcium? leave any eggs in cage etc... I threw the first egg out because it had broke.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I have a 12 year old African Grey called Billy who me and the previous owners have always thought was a male, but to my surprise on Thursday 'he' lay an egg!! So does this mean that Billy is actually female?? and is age 12 a little old to lay 'her' first egg?

It's been more than 48 hours since that egg so should I expect any more? Is a change in behaviour (really restless) and appetite (barely eating one day, ravenous the next) normal during this time and how long before it returns to normal? Should I do anything extra to help 'her' during this time? E.g extra calcium? leave any eggs in cage etc... I threw the first egg out because it had broke.
My Rocky laid her first egg at 11 yrs. old. I leave the eggs with her so she doesn’t try to lay even more. I bought fake “dummy eggs” and put 4 of them in with her first real egg to try and stop her from laying more. (She will usually lay 3 instead of 5 eggs since I started using dummies)

Tiger_Lily

Moving in
Real Name
Marie
Thanks everyone who replied, Billie has had three eggs so far...about seven days apart, she broke the first two but the third is still in her cage and she is just ignoring it so far

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Thanks everyone who replied, Billie has had three eggs so far...about seven days apart, she broke the first two but the third is still in her cage and she is just ignoring it so far
If she starts sitting on them, remember to offer her water throughout the day from a cup or bowl. I mean in addition to her main water bowl. (Rocky prefers very warm water when offered) I noticed it helps Rocky keep up her strength from sitting many hours at a time. I also keep many food options in low bowls positioned all around her to snack on.

Tiger_Lily

Moving in
Real Name
Marie
If she starts sitting on them, remember to offer her water throughout the day from a cup or bowl. I mean in addition to her main water bowl. (Rocky prefers very warm water when offered) I noticed it helps Rocky keep up her strength from sitting many hours at a time. I also keep many food options in low bowls positioned all around her to snack on.
Yes she's started sitting on it, I've been leaving food around her but not the water (except for the main water bowl) so thanks, how long will it take before she realises it won't hatch?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Yes she's started sitting on it, I've been leaving food around her but not the water (except for the main water bowl) so thanks, how long will it take before she realises it won't hatch?
Rocky sits on hers for approx. 8-10 weeks. It varies with her. Leave the eggs in the cage for about a week after she stops sitting on them just to make sure. Rocky will sometimes take a couple day break and then sit on them again :laugh:
(If you take the eggs out too soon she may become nesty all over again and lay new eggs :( )

Tiger_Lily

Moving in
Real Name
Marie
Hi again, Billie has not really sat on her eggs since Wednesday, she had however been going down and playing with them as though she is trying to sit on them but is moving them around with her claw instead of her beak causing them to roll all around the cage today she has also started trying to regurgitate on them, should I remove them or wait a little longer?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Hi again, Billie has not really sat on her eggs since Wednesday, she had however been going down and playing with them as though she is trying to sit on them but is moving them around with her claw instead of her beak causing them to roll all around the cage today she has also started trying to regurgitate on them, should I remove them or wait a little longer?
Is she still sitting on them overnight? Rocky also does the rolling the eggs around and trying to stand on them during the day :roflmao:, but still sits on them during the night. I take them out when there’s no sitting at all.

Tiger_Lily

Moving in
Real Name
Marie
Is she still sitting on them overnight? Rocky also does the rolling the eggs around and trying to stand on them during the day :roflmao:, but still sits on them during the night. I take them out when there’s no sitting at all.
No I don't think she's sitting on them during the night, the eggs are usually where she last left them and I hear her on her sleeping perch

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
No I don't think she's sitting on them during the night, the eggs are usually where she last left them and I hear her on her sleeping perch
You could take them out if you want.