• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

questions about flock calls

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
We have a young (15 weeks) conure who is settling in nicely but my experience with a young bird was almost 40 years ago. How do we respond to flock calls such that we meet his needs for attention while not encouraging increasingly louder calls. (Best to stop bad habits before they start). We do try to enter the room when he is quiet. We also reward quiet play with attention. We are also establishing a period of time when he is to self entertain (my daughter is looking for work so he will eventually have to get used to alone time when she works). We usually give him about 4 hours with plenty of toys, and food to self entertain. Hannah is also providing brief training periods several times a day. In addition to that he is getting direct play time a couple of times a day plus a little cuddle session just before bed, as well as ambient attention when she is working on her computer in the room with him. His flock calls are not loud, not all the time, and completely appropriate for his age. We just want to make sure that we keep them that way. We want to raise a confident, adaptable baby. He is currently an only bird (so no big brothers or sisters teaching him bad habits). Also if anyone has any other suggestions for bringing up baby that will be welcome. His cage is huge and he has many toys which he is finally learning to play with. Eventually he will come out to the main living space for ambient time out there too but don't want to overwhelm him yet with dogs and cats.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I’m going to respond to my tag but haven’t had the time to yet … anticipating I may be lengthy and with a phone using one finger to type a response…. I need some time to write. My first question was going to be where you keep him and on further reading I gathered he is in a bedroom after you mentioned the main living room ( with dogs and cats).. I’ll be back! :)

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I’m going to respond to my tag but haven’t had the time to yet … anticipating I may be lengthy and with a phone using one finger to type a response…. I need some time to write. My first question was going to be where you keep him and on further reading I gathered he is in a bedroom after you mentioned the main living room ( with dogs and cats).. I’ll be back! :)
Can't wait but understand completely. He is currently in a bedroom with the idea that he will eventually be in the main room of the house. He is doing well and we keep him busy. His flock calls are not a problem at all we just want to keep meeting his needs while helping him to become adaptable, healthy, and happy.