• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about chop and avian tea

KonaBird

Strolling the yard
Is anyone familiar with Greywood Manor tea? Is there a particular kind that would be good to put in chop?

Also, is there a recommended percentage for each category of ingredients in chop (vegetables, grains, legumes, sprouts, flowers, and extras like coconuts flakes and pumpkin seeds)?

I have made chop before, but only with vegetables. It always ends up too wet after it’s frozen and thawed. Do the grains need to be cooked, or can they be left raw to soak up some of the moisture?

Thank you for your help!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is my recipe :)

I don't add herbal tea mixes though as they are expensive and chop usually a lot goes to waste :lol:

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
here are some general guides I like to use I generally like to do something a little different each batch and will add some extras in the chop like ground flaxseed, chia seeds, ACV, coconut oil, and sprouts. I agree with @Mizzely I don't use avian teas they seem pretty overpriced and for my own sun conure I don't think he would drink it or care

Attachments

Last edited:

KonaBird

Strolling the yard
This is my recipe :)

I don't add herbal tea mixes though as they are expensive and chop usually a lot goes to waste :lol:
That’s very helpful, thank you!

KonaBird

Strolling the yard
here are some general guides I like to use I generally like to do something a little different each batch and will add some extras in the chop like ground flaxseed, chia seeds, ACV, coconut oil, and sprouts. I agree with @Mizzely I don't use avian teas they seem pretty overpriced and for my own sun conure I don't think he would drink it or care
Thank you for the resources! I thought flowers might be something I should add since green cheek conures eat them in the wild, but I agree the teas are quite expensive.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
plus if you do want to include flowers, there are lists of bird safe ones that you could buy and put into the chop, it would be much more effective than diluted by a ton of water

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For the record I don't have issues with Avian teas at all! I think they are a cool idea. Just mixing in dry with chop seems wasteful when they are curated for specific purposes is all. I don't know if you buy the one for hormones, as an example, if it would be as useful mixed into veggies etc where the bird might not eat it all

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I've tried several of them. I'm using the Hormone Havoc right now for my Rose Breasted Too that always seems to be hormonal. And I have the Pretty Plume for our feather picking Meyers. I usually make the tea with them. I've used them dry a few times mixed in with their afternoon foraging "snack" that usually has some dried veggies, greens and fruits in it. I HAVE sprinkled a bit on top of their chop in chop in the past...if I feel it's getting near expired or I have a lot to use up. It's hard to say what amount to use since medicinal herbs can be potent. I usually err on the side of caution and would use it minimally, sprinkling it on top and mixing it in. For example, in their individual bowls, I do just a pinch.

For the wetness issue...you can add flax meal, chia seeds, old fashioned oats, and quinoa or barley flakes to soak some of it up. If it still seems soggy, I run a few dry paper towels through the mix before freezing. Mine never turns out terribly wet.

Attachments