• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peri-Keet

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Keely
I have a 10 week old baby red rumped parrot/parakeet, and I recently posted about him. Since I've gotten him however, my anxiety rises any time he does something, as I fear he needs something or is in pain.
So, I had some questions, most of these aren't breed specific, and are more just general bird behavior questions.
Is standing still and flapping of the wings while chirping just him stretching/normal?

Since he's still new to his cage and is pretty small, he's had some trouble with his food and water bowls. He'll chirp and anxiously pace back and fourth on his perch, chirping and lunging forward at his water bowl, as if he's trying to reach it. He'll get there, but once he does, he does the same thing trying to get back to his perch. Should I be reaching in and directing him to it? I haven't yet, and the reason is also my next question.

Whenever I reach into his cage, he jumps and flutters all around the cage like crazy, and he's even escaped a few times. At the place where I got him though, they were very hands-on, so he doesn't bite if you scoop him up or get him to step up, and lets you pet him anywhere without him freezing up or biting.

He chirps all the time!! Personally I don't find his small peeps and squeaks annoying, but I feel like the other people in my house and myself won't feel this way for long. Obviously, he's a bird, and going to chirp, I get that, but it always stresses me out, and I feel like he needs something.

He hasn't touched any of his toys, but he looks bored? I had a budgie who constantly jingled her toys or was squawking and ripping paper apart, or swinging on her swing, but this bird hasn't noticed anything I've put in there. I had a swing that I had to take out because it scared him, and now I have a hay ball with confetti strings in it, and he doesn't care! But he's always chirping like he's bored, or pacing around.

Sorry for the long post, and sorry if I sound clueless, I assure you that I did my research, but I just get so paranoid that I'd appreciate the second opinion on his behavior.
If you have any questions yourself you can ask here too!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
okay, so for some birds the pacing may just be a way to catch your attention and it often takes a while for your bird to notice its toys
Does he bob his head up and down? that's also a way of getting your attention. Also, each bird has their own way of communicating to you, my budgie used to to tricks (that would scare the hell out of me) in order to make us take her out of her cage, maybe that's what hes doing with his water bowl?
LittleBird:roflmao:

Peri-Keet

Real Name
Keely
okay, so for some birds the pacing may just be a way to catch your attention and it often takes a while for your bird to notice its toys
Does he bob his head up and down? that's also a way of getting your attention. Also, each bird has their own way of communicating to you, my budgie used to to tricks (that would scare the hell out of me) in order to make us take her out of her cage, maybe that's what hes doing with his water bowl?
Lol, not quite sure if it's for attention, bc if I reach in at any point in time, it scares him. and he doesn't seem interested in me if I go over by by his cage, just kind of stares at me. I think he might be "asking" for help? Like, he might be chirping out of frustration because of him not knowing how to get to his food and water. I don't really want to baby him however, and take him where he wants, when he wants. I want him to know how to get around his cage, and eventually he does, but like I said in the OP, when he gets there the process repeats because he forgets how to get back.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
has he drank/eaten yet? if he hasn't maybe its because the bowls aren't familiar or don't look like his old ones, if you know what his old ones looked like, maybe get ones like those, also, is he tame? that would explain the fearfulness of your hand and then i can offer you some really great advice, ect. hope things come right!

Peri-Keet

Real Name
Keely
has he drank/eaten yet? if he hasn't maybe its because the bowls aren't familiar or don't look like his old ones, if you know what his old ones looked like, maybe get ones like those, also, is he tame? that would explain the fearfulness of your hand and then i can offer you some really great advice, ect. hope things come right!
Yes, he's eaten and drank, and he's hand raised and was hand fed. I don't think he's used to me though yet, and I'm kind of afraid to handle him bc I feel like he'll bite me (even though he hasn't)

Blizzard

Real Name
max
Is standing still and flapping of the wings while chirping just him stretching/normal?
this could be him exercising his wings since he is still so young.

about the pacing, it could be as LittleBird had said, he could be asking for attention while being scared of you.(or he could be a little freaked when he gets a fright)My cockatiel whom I'm in the middle of taming also does this and I'm pretty sure he's also asking for attention. he's still afraid of my hand so i spend time with him by talking or reading to him in a soft voice.this now brings me to the next point:
Whenever I reach into his cage, he jumps and flutters all around the cage like crazy, and he's even escaped a few times. At the place where I got him though, they were very hands-on, so he doesn't bite if you scoop him up or get him to step up, and lets you pet him anywhere without him freezing up or biting
oh boy...how new is he? At first you must let him get used to his surroundings. Since everybody has different opinions on time, i don't know how long exactly sine it could take a day up to a week (possible clarify it with someone else you trust).
if he's is used to his surroundings you need to get him to trust you. do these guys like millet spray? start by pushing the edge through the cage bars and wait untill he approaches it and starts to nibble. the first time may take him a while to build up courage but'll get easier and shorter after every session. the session must be short (10 - 15 min) to keep him from being bored and have 2 sessions a day. you may want to speed up the process but you should give your bird time to get used to you properly.
next you approach him with the millet spray inside the cage (NB once again you must let him come to the millet spray voluntarily so keep it in one place, don't follow him around with it or point it at his face. Also you must try keep it lower than him to make it less frightening)you do this till he's reasonably calm around your hand.the next step is putting his cage on your bed(if you can) opening the door of his cage and hovering your hand outside the door with loose seeds in your hand(you can take from the millet spray) and letting it come out by voluntarily. you could also do this but with your hand in the cage if you don't think he is ready to come out. Speaking to him in a soft, gentle voice is very important as it helps him get used to you and calm around you

NB this is my technique - you don't have to do this, you can do it any other way.

sorry for the long response!

Blizzard

Real Name
max
during the process encourage to come to the treat by talking softly

View attachment 253399
push the millet spay in a little more - my bird was in a rush to eat it

20170712_134956.jpg
let the bird approach it voluntarily

20170712_134948 (1).jpg
let the bird eat a couple seeds all the while praising it