• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about aviaries

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Is there a way to make them without a concrete floor?
Where I live gets to around or lower than 10 degrees Fahrenheit in winter, and up to like 95ish degrees Fahrenheit in summer. Would I have to worry about those temps/would I have to bring them inside in winter?
What type of wire and what size spacing for Amazons, cockatiels, or budgies?
Is there a minimum size, or how big would it have to be for Amazons or cockatiels to have enough room to fly?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
10 degrees Fahrenheit in winter, and up to like 95ish degrees Fahrenheit in summer. Would I have to worry about those temps/would I have to bring them inside in winter?
With that range of temperatures you would have to offer heat and cooling methods or bring them in when the temperatures were below 60 or above 85 (my bird would be very uncomfortable at 80). I don't believe you could suitably winterize and outside aviary for 10°.

What type of wire and what size spacing for Amazons, cockatiels, or budgies?
Each species has their own requirements. They would not be housed together. Spacing recommended for Budgies is 1/2". Cockatiels - 1/2" - 5/8". Amazons 3/4 - 1"

Is there a way to make them without a concrete floor?
Aviaries don't necessarily need a concrete floor. Whatever substrate you use would have to be done in such a way as to facilitate drainage and keep critters out.

Last edited:

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good Luck!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aviaries don't necessarily need a concrete floor. Whatever substrate you use would have to be done in such a way as to facilitate drainage and keep critters out.
That is really important! Read so many times of animals coming in in the night and digging under the aviary :(

BirdWorld

That is really important! Read so many times of animals coming in in the night and digging under the aviary :(
True. My chicken run has wire netting underneath, under the soil to keep raccoons and such out.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Yes, you need wire or concrete. My new aviary has 6 inches of concrete, hard-core and mesh. We had a concrete base layed directly on soil in the first aviary about 2 inches thick. The rats got in. We lost 6 birds. Trigger warning One was beheaded and lay on the floor

Always check from tiny gaps. You'll be surprised what rats and mice can get through. There are even stories of rats biting through aviary mesh to get in. Mice don't pose to much of a threat other than passing on disease, but they can get through 1cm aviary mesh. To avoid this, have wooden gravel boards for a few inches upwards on all open sides of the avairy to keep the mice from climbing through.

Also, you didn't ask this, but aviaries are best situated facing Eastwards. I can't remember the reasoning, but there is one. Our new one stretches across the back of our South facing garden, so the front (which is fully open mesh) faces East, towards the house.

BirdWorld

Also, you didn't ask this, but aviaries are best situated facing Eastwards. I can't remember the reasoning, but there is one. Our new one stretches across the back of our South facing garden, so the front (which is fully open mesh) faces East, towards the house.
That’s odd. Maybe it has something to do with the sun?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but aviaries are best situated facing Eastwards. I can't remember the reasoning
The sun rises in the East. If the aviary faces the other way, the birds won´t wake at dawn as they will be in the shade.

Guava123

Walking the driveway
A concrete floor is best for cleaning. I wouldn't recommend sand because it has zinc and lead, and because BirdTricks' parrot may have died because of it, grass is meh, wood will rot, so yes-concrete tiles or concrete will do. Just leave it to cure for a while because of fumes.
Well, BirdTricks brings their birds out when it's fifty degrees and sunny, and some birds have been acclimated to snowy weather by turning the heat up one degree colder every day.
Well, there are many cage size recomendations for those species online, generally it has to be so the bird can comfortably turn around without their tail getting caught, but obviously, it should be bigger than that. You can look at flight cages online.
I recommend A and E flight cages for a budgie, researching a cage for a cockatiel, ElleAndTheBirds owns one, if you'd like to ask her, and for an Amazon I recommend getting a really big cage or an aviary. Aviaries are great for birds. I recommend getting one from Corner's Limited. I recommend Tops for pellets, veggie chops, BirdTricks and ElleAndTheBirds, also Parrot Playhouse and Flock Talk, Marlene Mc Cohen.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
A concrete floor is best for cleaning. I wouldn't recommend sand because it has zinc and lead, and because BirdTricks' parrot may have died because of it, grass is meh, wood will rot, so yes-concrete tiles or concrete will do. Just leave it to cure for a while because of fumes.
Well, BirdTricks brings their birds out when it's fifty degrees and sunny, and some birds have been acclimated to snowy weather by turning the heat up one degree colder every day.
Well, there are many cage size recomendations for those species online, generally it has to be so the bird can comfortably turn around without their tail getting caught, but obviously, it should be bigger than that. You can look at flight cages online.
I recommend A and E flight cages for a budgie, researching a cage for a cockatiel, ElleAndTheBirds owns one, if you'd like to ask her, and for an Amazon I recommend getting a really big cage or an aviary. Aviaries are great for birds. I recommend getting one from Corner's Limited. I recommend Tops for pellets, veggie chops, BirdTricks and ElleAndTheBirds, also Parrot Playhouse and Flock Talk, Marlene Mc Cohen.
Thanks! I already watch BirdTricks, ElleAndTheBirds, and Marlene McCohen. I'll check out all the things you mention.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I only reccommended Marlene's older videos, now she just mainly puts out vloggy content but i enjoy her older informative videos and training videos. I dont feel comfortable supporting her content anymore as well since she keeps old world and new world birds together.