• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Hello, I would like to move onto larger birds but unsure if I should and which one would be good. Please give me the harsh and soft truth.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have zero experience with large birds, but may I ask what kind of birds do you have now?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kinds of birds do you have now, and will you have a way to separate large species from small species? Some bigger birds will purposely or accidentally kill smaller ones.

The rest is going to depend largely on how big you are wanting to go, and your reasons for wanting to go bigger, and the individual bird itself. So I would ask yourself what you expect to be different, what you expect to get out of a larger species, and what you hope to GIVE to a larger species.

Do you have the space to accommodate a cage for a larger bird? Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

Budget for toys (and food to a lesser degree) for a larger bird are often much higher. Even for my Jardine's I spend about $50 a month on toys (and that's with me making a lot of them!) and another $12 to $20 a month on food.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I have zero experience with large birds, but may I ask what kind of birds do you have now?
Hi, have a cockatiel and bourke but I have had different types of keets and lovebirds

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
What kinds of birds do you have now, and will you have a way to separate large species from small species? Some bigger birds will purposely or accidentally kill smaller ones.

The rest is going to depend largely on how big you are wanting to go, and your reasons for wanting to go bigger, and the individual bird itself. So I would ask yourself what you expect to be different, what you expect to get out of a larger species, and what you hope to GIVE to a larger species.

Do you have the space to accommodate a cage for a larger bird? Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

Budget for toys (and food to a lesser degree) for a larger bird are often much higher. Even for my Jardine's I spend about $50 a month on toys (and that's with me making a lot of them!) and another $12 to $20 a month on food.
Hello I have a cockatiel and a bourke parakeet. I do understand that bigger birds could hurt smaller ones. The bigger bird would live in a different room. I’m thinking bigger as in ekkies or large conures nothing bigger than that. I want to go bigger 1. Add to my flock and 2. give a home to a bigger bird (I would adopt). Like I said earlier I do have a room that has space for a larger cage. I do understand that larger birds would require expensive toys and food (especially for an eclectus).

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Having a cockatiel would make it unwise to have a macaw. These threads explain the reasoning behind my statement: Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Disease - Macaws and Conures and Pulmonary Hypertensive Syndrome - Revisited . There are many other threads around the forum on this issue as well.
If you are looking for the pros and cons of different species, i would recommend that you check the "the good, the bad and the ugly about..." threads in most of the sections in the species speedway.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This is basically the same as your other thread, my reply remains the same…

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Thank you for the reply’s I will take this all into consideration.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
This is basically the same as your other thread, my reply remains the same…

I Completely forgot I had made another thread.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I would not recommend getting a bigger bird until you've had some hands-on experience, if at all possible. Volunteering at a rescue/sanctuary would be ideal. I think it is good you want to adopt, rather than buy.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't recommend bigger birds at all. I'd recommend budgies. :)