• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ally

Walking the driveway
Real Name
ally
why does stretch sound like hes coughing during his hand feeding? when he does it, i move the syringe, and give him a sec, but hes ready for more food.. i was worried he was aspirating, but i called my vet, and she said no worries he just does that... does anyone one why he might? it really sounds like a little cough or wheeze, but its during his whole feeding process and every time? im puzzled.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Ally, I see you haven't received a response yet so I'm posting to bump this up. Sorry, I know nothing about hand-feeding so I can't help.

Maybe you'd get more responses in the Nursery Rhyme Drive or even the Breeders Boulevard? Also, maybe give it a more 'catching' title, like "coughing during hand feeding' or some such?

Could one of the Mods move this, perhaps?

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
I don't have any experience hand feeding a macaw......hopefully someone can help. When I have hand fed my birds make noise but it does not sound like a cough.:confused:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there any way you could set up a video so we can see whats happening?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Baby macaws are known to "honk" when they want to be handfed and during the hand feeding process. I would love to see a video.

Ally

Walking the driveway
Real Name
ally
ill try to take one, but usually i just post the pictures from my phone lol ill see what i can do

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
it would help just so we could tell if its actual coughing or baby noises :)

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Maybe you could use a spoon instead of the syringe? This would allow the little guy to swallow better and reduce the risk of aspiration, spoons are also less liable to cause scissor beak than a syringe. Being spoon trained also means later if the little one needs to take medicine s/he will be more likely to take it, off the spoon.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Both Einstein and Winston did this, I have no idea why, but they both did and they are both fine. They still do it every once in a while when they drink so I don't think its anything to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.