• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
If you want to have a pet/ie tame bird should you only have the one ? or can you have more than one tame bird at a time ?

I have heard if you have a tame bird then get another bird the tame bird will revert back to being untammed ,is this true ?

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Well I have 9 right now and all are tame. My two suns live in the same cage and they are just fine together and still tame.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, but Parrotlets are different.

hsmoscout

That's not true as long as you handle them enough. It also depends on the individual bird ;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You need to tame them and bond with them first. If you get 2 and have not formed a bond with either of them the odds go up that they will bond with each other first and not really want to bond with you. JMO

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
some do revert or turn wild No mater how much you handle them

but We have 50 some birds, 2 tame Tiels, 2 tame Quakers, 2 take Quakers as long as they're not near a cage, and a tame lovebird , all but one of my lovebirds are handle able w/out getting the snot bit out of you though they just don't like being handled. but will tolerate it.

none of the budgies are tame, had 2 tame ones for a minute - One is Muttley who I finished hand feeding once he was put with the rest of the budgies he was done with me, The other is Lance got him from a bird fair and he was tame, stepped up, Got put with the rest now we can't even hold him with out getting bit

the 4 baby tiels would rather just climb all over the cage and check everything out but they do want to be up in our faces and know what we're doing at all times They just don't want to be touched - and I hand fed them LOL the other tiels well they just want to watch and whistle at you they don't want to be touched what so ever and if you do hold one be prepared to leave bloody

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Jennifer - beautiful photo :)

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Yes, but Parrotlets are different.

I have two Parrotlets here that are tame and are ex breeders. I think it all depends on age at bonding, the cage size, and interacting with them as much as possible seperately.

T

TinaM

My birds tell me that no matter how much time I spend with other humans, I've remained tame and quite trained.

Wait ...that's not right...

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
The more you put into your bird in the way of time, handling, patience and lots of TLC the more you will get out of them.:hug8:

oddbird

Walking the driveway
he is not mt bird yet ,but hes a two year old parrotlet,is there still hope for getting him handtame ?

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
Birds are a flock species. I think they are happier in a group.

However, I agree with John. Socialization is about timing: the amount of time you spend with each bird before and after you introduce another.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Have you read up as much as you can soak up about the species of parrot you are thinking of having? It can help with a lot of pitfalls by knowing in advance how to deal with them.
If you have never kept birds before it would not be a bad idea, and then to have the one and get to know it and settle in together before taking on any more?:hug8:

oddbird

Walking the driveway
oh believe me ive read , done research ,etc,and alot of it, i just like to ask people that actually have had experience tooas part of my research :)

I have had : Finches-Canaries-Budgies-Doves-

here are some things i have to consider in my situation

allergies to :toos teils & greys
My husband dosnt like LOUD birds -hes NOT a bird person at all ...

so given those things it really narrows down my choices...if i go with finches ,or canaries i will get more than one....if i get a budgie or ENGLISH BUDGIE (which is what i REALLY want but cannot find in my area:( i will get just one Baby ,& tame it :heart:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Nope not true, I have eleven and while some are more tame/trusting than others I have never had problems with them reverting back to being untame. Now, if someone got another bird and started neglected the first bird (not handling it for long periods of time- like months) then I could see where that might be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.