• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question Regarding Oil Heaters

Ribread

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rilee
Hi everyone! I've been a proud bird owner of a Green Cheek Conure for quite a few years now, but I decided to make an account to ask a question! It's gotten dreadfully cold now, and about a week ago I began looking into safe heaters and landed on getting a oil heater. I was still worried regarding the heater, but thankfully it came with a warning stating to not use it around birds on the first initial use. However, I've turned it on for hours at a time for about 3 days now, and the smell it's releasing isn't quite going away. Does anyone else have a 1500 watt Profusion Heater and have advice on when it's safe to use?
It's getting really cold, low 60's, and I want to get the heater into my room asap (my little Conure got sick last year around this time and we believe he got it from the cold). However I'm very paranoid about this stuff due to the horror stories I've heard regarding those dangerous "invisible scents" and want to be as safe as possible and not risk anything!

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Does the heater contain any teflon? If yes I would throw it right away. Sorry I don't know much on heaters as I live in a place where the temperature drops to about 17-18 degrees Celsius max.
@finchly @Mizzely @Macawnutz @Shezbug

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have a link to the one you bought?

I don't have experience with oil heaters; I know many members use De'longhi.

Also, birds can tolerate cooler weather if they are used to it. You can also invest in heating panels that attach to the cage, heated perches, or a ceramic heat emitter (like the kind they use for reptiles) for focused heat for your bird

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have a Delongi and it is years old. It just does take awhile to burn off the smell, perhaps if you rubbed it (unplugged) with a water-dampened cloth?
Here's info on the cage mounter heat panels. They also take days to "burn off". Keep in mind the panels only have a gentle heat and will not heat the room, just a bird sitting near it and it does help to partially cover the cage for best warmth. The oil-filled heater will heat the room also.
Cage-mounted radiant heating panels, Avitech-style

Ribread

Real Name
Rilee
Does the heater contain any teflon? If yes I would throw it right away. Sorry I don't know much on heaters as I live in a place where the temperature drops to about 17-18 degrees Celsius max.
@finchly @Mizzely @Macawnutz @Shezbug
I checked thoroughly and there's no mention of Teflon (that was my biggest fear in getting a heater so I was extra careful), generally, oil heaters don't have Teflon and are the safest for birds, but I guess there's still a protective coating that needs to burn off on the first few uses. Problem is that I don't know when that coating is completely off and I can use it. I might need to triple check with the company itself and see if there's absolutely any trace of Teflon just to be safe

Ribread

Real Name
Rilee
Do you have a link to the one you bought?

I don't have experience with oil heaters; I know many members use De'longhi.

Also, birds can tolerate cooler weather if they are used to it. You can also invest in heating panels that attach to the cage, heated perches, or a ceramic heat emitter (like the kind they use for reptiles) for focused heat for your bird
It was an in-person purchase, so I can't find the exact model online anywhere, but this is practically the same: Pro Fusion Heat NDB-1Y 1500 Watt Oil-Filled Heater With Thermostat - Walmart.com
I normally wouldn't worry about him regarding this weather but last year at this time his voice gave out and we had to give him antibiotics, we weren't sure of the cause but our vet said that he might have gotten too cold.

Ribread

Real Name
Rilee
I have a Delongi and it is years old. It just does take awhile to burn off the smell, perhaps if you rubbed it (unplugged) with a water-dampened cloth?
Here's info on the cage mounter heat panels. They also take days to "burn off". Keep in mind the panels only have a gentle heat and will not heat the room, just a bird sitting near it and it does help to partially cover the cage for best warmth. The oil-filled heater will heat the room also.
Cage-mounted radiant heating panels, Avitech-style
I definitely considered cage-mounted heating panels, but how hot do they get? Are they safe to leave on overnight underneath a blanket cover? My conure really enjoys chewing on practically everything, so is there anything about those panels that would be a risk for him via chewing/biting?
I might try wiping the heater down, thank you for the suggestion!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I definitely considered cage-mounted heating panels, but how hot do they get? Are they safe to leave on overnight underneath a blanket cover? My conure really enjoys chewing on practically everything, so is there anything about those panels that would be a risk for him via chewing/biting?
I might try wiping the heater down, thank you for the suggestion!
There is no one more paranoid about fires than me.
As I said in the other thread, I've had 4 for over a decade, use them mostly year-round due to cold summer nights here and the cages are covered at night. Panels do not get hot enough to be a problem. You can put your hand on the front and not be burned, in addition a fabric cover would only touch the back. They are only to warm the bird, not the room, and work best with covering the cage partially.
The panels are on the outside of the cage and they can't really reach anything from the inside, except watch how you run the thick electric cord. The deep metal cover protects the face of the panel. They stay attached all day to my Jenday and Hahns cages and they don't bother them. My Amazons- I remove the panel during the day because it is easy with the old mounting system and if they went after the cord they could damage it, but they ignore it if I forget.
I don't normally use one with my Goffin, but he would not be able to damage the panel itself, it's the electric cord that scares me. He has chewed thru other cords in the distant past, so I plan to add one of the coverings from the hardware store. And use only in heating/electric outages. Otherwise I have the oil-filled Delonghi next to him, with the cord going directly behind plexiglass. He is a challenge to out-think.