• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question RE - rehoming "breeding stock"

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
I am not sure if this is the right place for this, so I apologize if it belongs somewhere else, but I have a question about breeding....pairs? Maybe is a better term. For reference I have no interest in breeding ever, but I often see breeders (on facebook, or buy/sell forums) who are rehoming their...breeders? for whatever reason. They always state that the birds are untamed or "wild" and "not pets" etc - what does this mean? Can untamed adult birds become tamed or... pets? And if they can't be tamed, what happens to them? Thanks in advance!!!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Former breeders may or may not be capable of being pet quality. The bird still needs a home though. A good situation for a former breeding bird may be one in which they are provided good diet and vet care, toys and a nice roomy cage, but are not expected to be a pet. Some may be able to come around to accepting affection from humans, but many are better off with another of their own kind being mostly look at types of pets than ones that want or need physical interaction. It's best if they stay with their original mate if they are compatible and get into a home where they are just accepted, even if they do not progress to being touchable pets. You should never buy a former breeder if your only goal is to make them like you. The goal of buying a former breeder bird, needs to be acceptance of where they are now behaviorally and giving them a good home. Unconditionally.
In many cases, I think they end up going to someone that wants to make them a pet, and when that doesn't happen, they loose their mate and home and enter the rehoming cycle. Many breeders either keep their retired pairs or they rehome them and are very honest. They may rehome the pair and make it very clear that they are likely to be best kept as pretty aviary birds instead of "pets."

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Former breeders may or may not be capable of being pet quality. The bird still needs a home though. A good situation for a former breeding bird may be one in which they are provided good diet and vet care, toys and a nice roomy cage, but are not expected to be a pet. Some may be able to come around to accepting affection from humans, but many are better off with another of their own kind being mostly look at types of pets than ones that want or need physical interaction. It's best if they stay with their original mate if they are compatible and get into a home where they are just accepted, even if they do not progress to being touchable pets. You should never buy a former breeder if your only goal is to make them like you. The goal of buying a former breeder bird, needs to be acceptance of where they are now behaviorally and giving them a good home. Unconditionally.
In many cases, I think they end up going to someone that wants to make them a pet, and when that doesn't happen, they loose their mate and home and enter the rehoming cycle. Many breeders either keep their retired pairs or they rehome them and are very honest. They may rehome the pair and make it very clear that they are likely to be best kept as pretty aviary birds instead of "pets."
Thank you!!!!

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
@melissasparrots got it spot on.
I know there are lots of breeders in Toronto and kijiji was always full of breeders selling their stock . Some were honest but others would claim they were friendly and would make a great pet. This would cause people to start rehoming them. It's a vicious circle.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have an ex-breeder budgie, rehomed when a former member closed her aviary.

He’s the least comfortable with people, but is a genius with birds. Watching Winston & Aurelius is precious. I’d not trade it for any number of tamed budgies.

So, breeder birds may not be what you’d prefer, but they’re priceless differently.

He came from a different aviary, initially, where they didn’t tame their budgies.

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
I have to follow up and say - that I have been having a lot of ethical/moral dilemmas about...pet ownership in general since we had to euthanize our dog and I think....mind you not anytime soon (10+ years) when my kids are much older - rehoming "untamed" birds might be up my alley. 2 is my limit though and currently we are at capacity lol but I am drawn to the concept of having... roomies that just want to be birds who's needs are met. Although!! Time will tell! Lol

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
I did something...maybe impulsive in this...wheelhouse. 2 birds is my limit as a pet.."owner" i swear! But, yesterday I applied to be a foster parront. They will probably never call me, I live 4 hours from this particular rescue and I have children and I had to tell them that I don't use vinegar to clean my cages (which I feel like....could be a Cardinal sin from other forums) but... I DID IT. Lol

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Just be very strict about quarantine! Birds from breeding and aviary situations have been exposed to a lot of birds...and this increases the chances of diseases like AVG, chlamydia and the viral things PBFD

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Just be very strict about quarantine! Birds from breeding and aviary situations have been exposed to a lot of birds...and this increases the chances of diseases like AVG, chlamydia and the viral things PBFD
Yes!!!! If we did receive a foster, we wouldnt
"mix" them with our babes (at least not for a while until everyone was settled and safe) my husband has done some of his own..reading since my meltdown about him breaking Mordi's quarantine so, there will be NO well intended but... potentially dangerous breeches in the future! I have the PERFECT room for my imaginary foster bird!!! My "adult" livingroom. My kids already know the room rules, its still a "socially active" room but without the chaos of kid squabbles and fort building so our guest can feel safe and secure without the large fast muscle movements and shrieks of my flesh tornados. Lol

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Both of my girls whilst not breeding stock they where both hand reared but reintroduced to the aviary as they couldnt be moved on, KeeKs was in the aviary for 9 months and whilst she w

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Both of my girls whilst not breeding stock they where both hand reared but reintroduced to the aviary as they couldnt be moved on, KeeKs was in the aviary for 9 months and whilst she w
Was hand raised but then left in the aviary to do her thing ( due to the pandemic )
I would happily take any cheeky as that is the only bird i have experience with.

Your interaction with a breeding bird could be massively different but could be just as fullfilling.

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Okay... i have a question for the panel (avenue!). 2 birds is my limit and all of that jazz, however I was approached by someone who was breeding conures. They wanted to know if I could adopt one of their babies and for...many reasons, I don't want a baby. I mentioned to them that I wasn't willing to take on a baby and they asked if I was willing to rehome a breeding pair of theirs. I DO NOT WANT TO BREED BIRDS in any capacity. Period. So, I am wondering if it is possible to "take on" a bonded breeding pair, and also - eliminate their....breeding capacity (that sounds terrible) but is it possible? I don't want them to breed, but I also don't want to "break up" a family of bonded mates.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Okay... i have a question for the panel (avenue!). 2 birds is my limit and all of that jazz, however I was approached by someone who was breeding conures. They wanted to know if I could adopt one of their babies and for...many reasons, I don't want a baby. I mentioned to them that I wasn't willing to take on a baby and they asked if I was willing to rehome a breeding pair of theirs. I DO NOT WANT TO BREED BIRDS in any capacity. Period. So, I am wondering if it is possible to "take on" a bonded breeding pair, and also - eliminate their....breeding capacity (that sounds terrible) but is it possible? I don't want them to breed, but I also don't want to "break up" a family of bonded mates.
Simple... boil or replace all eggs :)

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Simple... boil or replace all eggs :)
When my partner introduced mordi to B....i told them I hoped they knew what they were up against because...id feed them their eggs or smash them in front of them... lol so, I am WILLING. I just hope its enough.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When my partner introduced mordi to B....i told them I hoped they knew what they were up against because...id feed them their eggs or smash them in front of them... lol so, I am WILLING. I just hope its enough.
you may have to manage diet or wake/sleep hours a touch more seriously but I really can not see this as being any worse or different to what some have to deal with in a single bird.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
It might depend on how institutional (?) and hands-off the breeding environment was.

Oscar was previously in a small flock of macaws in a home, had a Scarlett Macaw mate, and produced at least one offspring that I know of, but I don't really consider him to be an ex-breeder -- the birds were just allowed to be birds, and offspring happened. He's not the most cuddly guy (which is great to avoid developing an in appropriate bond between him and I), but as @Sparkles99 mentioned above with her budgie, Oscar has sky-high flock-smarts (which I also consider a huge advantage). He is trainable, learned how to step up foot-first in the first week, recalls indoors, and makes his way to me when he wants to hang out (and lets me do pin feathers around his head if I'm super gentle because somebody in his previous flock over preened the top of his head and that's still a thin spot).

He's loved as much as Marvin (who came to me as a hand-raised youngin'), and Jericho (who came to me as a 12 year old only-child spoiled pet).

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Thank you everyone! I am glad to know this! We have decided against the....pair. They aren't a fit for us at this time (MOSTLY due to...the investment the current owners are requiring because to them, they are breeders and therefore an investment and for us, theyd be... sassy roomies with NO intent to breed)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you everyone! I am glad to know this! We have decided against the....pair. They aren't a fit for us at this time (MOSTLY due to...the investment the current owners are requiring because to them, they are breeders and therefore an investment and for us, theyd be... sassy roomies with NO intent to breed)
I thought they’d asked you to take on their birds? Not buy them??

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
I thought they’d asked you to take on their birds? Not buy them??
That....was my literal first thought. My brain was like.....pardon? But by the grace of the universe my mouth said nothing... lol anyway, I trust the grace of the universe and those babes, just werent for us I suppose! (Also weirdly not the first time something similar has happened to me) the first time I actually said - sorry but no, and they spent days communicating with me to convince me that we were "right" for their situation and when I finally was like..i see you're in a tough spot and I don't want your animal to break you they were like nevermind, we sold them. So... :nocomment: lol