• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question on liquids to have on hand.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
What type of Pedialyte should I have on hand?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Children's Plain Pedialyte mixed half with water when ready to give.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have also read on a holistic bird page on FB talk about coconut water. How is Bodie doing tonight Jan? :hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I have Organic Coconut Water, Organic ACV and Fruit Punch flavored Pedialyte (tried to find unflavored powder but couldn't so I figured that the fruit punch is better than nothing IMO)- but the little box I got at Walmart was about $3 or so dollars and has 3 or 4 packets in the box, the box I bought didn't expire until summer of 2013 I believe. :)

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I have also read on a holistic bird page on FB talk about coconut water. How is Bodie doing tonight Jan? :hug8:
Hi Claire,

I feel so stressed probably of my own doing. Bodie is eating, drinking and his poops seem good. I gave him his night dose of meds and that did not go well as I must have got some in his nares passage as he was clearing that out making a sound that just stressed me more but I let him be and it went away. Eagle eye Jan will be watching him.:)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:hug8::hug8::hug8:get a good rest!

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Non-flavored pedialyte (powder form) is always good to have on hand.

Jan - for Bodie's meds - try putting them on a cracker or piece of bread and administer them that way.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I didn't know Pedialyte came in powdered form - that would be much more convenient than the bottled stuff i keep on hand and throw out when it expires. Good to know!

:hug8:to you and Bodie, Jan.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Non-flavored pedialyte (powder form) is always good to have on hand.

Jan - for Bodie's meds - try putting them on a cracker or piece of bread and administer them that way.
Thanks Kathie- I have always given his meds orally. I think I just was not focusing and I was tired. Tomorrow will be different. It is peanut butter flavored.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Thanks Kathie- I have always given his meds orally. I think I just was not focusing and I was tired. Tomorrow will be different. It is peanut butter flavored.
:hug8:

CHarris

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cheri Harris
You can premake home made pedialyte, just don't add water until your ready to use it. Google search for home made pedialyte. I started doing this when our 17 yr old was a baby and had numerous (better term is chronic) ear infections, fever and all. I resumed keeping a couple baggies of the power mix in the freezer after our 4 yr old was born. I've never had a bird that needed hydration however I am confident that the home made version is as good as its expensive alternative and has a much longer storage life....worked for our son!

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I would keep the bottled store bought type on hand since it is sealed and is not mixed with tap water. You just never know what comes out of the tap or how long it will keep. I would also keep distilled water.

CHarris

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cheri Harris
Oh, I by no means was suggesting using tap water. I wouldn't use tap water with my birds let alone my children. I didn't have time to insert the ingredients into my post when I wrote it. Many years ago I bought the premixed liquid pedialyte for my step daughter whom is now 25. It does have an expiration date and I'm assuming that is because once the water is added the ingredients that cause the body to absorb the water degrade, not the water itself. When thinking of keeping preventive, preemptive items on hand, I want sustainability, cost effective items. Pedialyte in my opinion is tossing money away because of the expiration date and one does not know if and or when they will ever need it. In CA it costs approx $5 for a pint or quart (dont remember the size) bottle, which will last MAYBE two years. My sons pediatricians nurse gave me the orginal recipe that we used. So I'm pretty sure that the home made version is safe LOL.

So to clarify because I didn't earlier...definately use bottled water, if you wouldn't drink it then the birds shouldn't either.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh, I by no means was suggesting using tap water. I wouldn't use tap water with my birds let alone my children. I didn't have time to insert the ingredients into my post when I wrote it. Many years ago I bought the premixed liquid pedialyte for my step daughter whom is now 25. It does have an expiration date and I'm assuming that is because once the water is added the ingredients that cause the body to absorb the water degrade, not the water itself. When thinking of keeping preventive, preemptive items on hand, I want sustainability, cost effective items. Pedialyte in my opinion is tossing money away because of the expiration date and one does not know if and or when they will ever need it. In CA it costs approx $5 for a pint or quart (dont remember the size) bottle, which will last MAYBE two years. My sons pediatricians nurse gave me the orginal recipe that we used. So I'm pretty sure that the home made version is safe LOL.

So to clarify because I didn't earlier...definately use bottled water, if you wouldn't drink it then the birds shouldn't either.
I love this idea! I am going to look into it, because I agree, something you want to "keep on hand" should be able to last quite a while. I also believe the same as you do, that the water it is mixed with causes the ingredients to degrade, which is why the powdered stuff can last longer. I believe one thing that kept me from buying the packaged powdered ones, though, was artificial sweeteners. I refuse to consume aspartame, sucralose, truvia, etc, and refuse to feed it to my pets as well. So your option may be perfect for me! Thanks for the idea!!

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I keep coconut water on hand. The birds get it anyway with their oatmeal and smoothies.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I too have coconut water on hand as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.