• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question for Chompie_Puppy and Platinum regarding Plumheads and bluffing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I was wondering if your Plummies went through a bluffing stage? Moe has never ever bitten me until last night and he was just hanging out on my hand and then gave me a nice hard bite out of the blue.

Holy Moly that was hard to ignore the bites because it hurt like hell,but I ignored it because I think I read that's the best thing to do when IRN go through bluffing stage.

Is ignoring it my best bet? My poor hands will be in bad shape if this becomes a habit and I'd like to nip it in the bud before it does. Moe is about 8 months old now I think,what age do IRN start bluffing?

platinum

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sharon
Rain was just under two when we got her, and we believe she did bluff and that she was reinforced. She still shows this behavior, although we are working with her on it. In fact, we think that's how she ended up with us... (are you familiar with Rain's backstory?)

The technique we're using on Rain is working very well. It's also working very painfully.

I show her a treat, and offer my hand. If she bites or lunges, no treat. If she steps up, or does nothing, she gets the treat. I think you and Moe need to find a routine that works for you.

Last edited:

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Thanks for the tips you use with Rain! Is Rains back story posted on here? I'll look it up if so. Moe's 99% a perfect bird,it's just been the past few days he's done this pinching/biting and I just think it's probably bluffing and I know he'll get over it with no problems if I go about it the proper way. Looks like studying time for me hehe.

platinum

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sharon
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.