• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question, Do all parrots use feet as a hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I dont know if this sort of thing is breed specific, but I know Pru appears to be fine tuning this skill (foot utilization in general) as she is working on balance, and depth perception, etc. She has deffinitly progressed in this area as she has aged. (4 Months old now)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Keiba (IRN), Leila (GCC), Keiko (Quaker) and most of my Cockatiels use their feet as a hand while eating/playing with toys. It's the Budgies that are the only ones that don't.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Mousebirds do, but they do not pick it up to their beak, they hold with it.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I have an unusual Canary that manipulates stuff with his feet. I think he is an exception though, not the rule. :huh:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Sam uses her feet to eat and pick things up but Mitch doesnt..they are both tiels

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
I don't think I've ever seen Rain eat without using her feet, including pellets and sad attempts at eating mash with her feet.
:lol: Is that the equivalent to a kid with the fingers in the jam jar? :p
Ceddy eats with her feet unless it's WET :D

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I rarely see my ekkie use his feet as a hand, even when given a favorite treat.

But my grey and amazon use them with dexterity. I think it's what makes parrots so unique!

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My ekkie has never used his feet to eat, even when it is his favorite food. But both the Greys and Pionus use their feet all the time.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I've never seen Jasmine use her feet for eating but she will pick up a toy with her feet.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
The only ones I've seen who don't use their feet are cockatiels, lovebirds, budgies and parrolets. I assume rosellas probably don't use them either.

Cremaster

Meeting neighbors
My Sun Conure does use her feet as hands all the time. She is able to pick things up to eat, or examine. He also uses her feet to scratch his head.

Two things that I have notice that she does with her feet that I have never seen other birds do is to use a cell phone. She dials the number but I have to hit the call button because it is in the middle of the phone and she can not reach it with her toes and grip the phone enough to push the button. She only says "hello and Connie" but the people she calls know it is her.

She also likes to play the piano when she first gets up in the morning, she sometimes plays for hours. You should see her, she is so cute, but it is sad too. She plays chop sticks and she can get the first part just fine, the part where you keep pressing the two keys that are right together, but when it changes and you have to push keys that are not next to each other she has problems and gets very frustrated. She cusses and uses the F word when I am not in the room because she can not get to the next part of the song. I just pretend that I have not heard her cuss but I know she is very unhappy about it.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
My Sun Conure does use her feet as hands all the time. She is able to pick things up to eat, or examine. He also uses her feet to scratch his head.

Two things that I have notice that she does with her feet that I have never seen other birds do is to use a cell phone. She dials the number but I have to hit the call button because it is in the middle of the phone and she can not reach it with her toes and grip the phone enough to push the button. She only says "hello and Connie" but the people she calls know it is her.

She also likes to play the piano when she first gets up in the morning, she sometimes plays for hours. You should see her, she is so cute, but it is sad too. She plays chop sticks and she can get the first part just fine, the part where you keep pressing the two keys that are right together, but when it changes and you have to push keys that are not next to each other she has problems and gets very frustrated. She cusses and uses the F word when I am not in the room because she can not get to the next part of the song. I just pretend that I have not heard her cuss but I know she is very unhappy about it.
Alrighty then....let's continue with this thread...:dancing:

Last edited:

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn

:lol:

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
My Tiels don't really use their feet. I have seen Ziggy use his foot to hold something still in his food dish that he was eating, but I have never seen either one use their feet like my other parrots do.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That's nothing...
My HH and RFM just packed up a weekend bag, stole my extra set of keys off the hook & my Visa Card, and took off for South Beach in my Cavalier.
They left this note~
"Don't bother trying to find us, we'll stay one feather ahead of U.
Love,
Holly & Cochise"
:eek:

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
That's nothing...
My HH and RFM just packed up a weekend bag, stole my extra set of keys off the hook & my Visa Card, and took off for South Beach in my Cavalier.
They left this note~
"Don't bother trying to find us, we'll stay one feather ahead of U.
Love,
Holly & Cochise"
:eek:
:omg: :lol: :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.