• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about tail feathers

picklersfn

Checking out the neighborhood
My parrot hasn’t been maintaining his tail feathers for a while. They look very disorganized and messy. He’s been eating properly and his poop looks fine. He is sleeping a lot and has been obsessed with one of his mirrors (he was attacking me when I removed it). Should I be worried about the tail feathers?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue 1.welcome signs.gif

Offering a bath may help. Does he have enough room in his cage to turn, move etc without his tail catching on everything?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The yellow feather to the left looks to be ruined, as does the one on the far right. But it may still help to make them look a little better.
yes he does have enough room to turn
If you can´t find a reason why, then it´s worth bringing up on your next vet appointment (or sooner if the feathers get much worse)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How old is your bird. Baby birds don't give a darn about their tails and play so hard that their tails are almost always a mess until they grow up.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The tail feathers look damaged to me. With such a long tail it is likely from rubbing on the cage bars. If you are worried about feather destructive behaviour, don't panic yet. It is unusual for this behaviour to start at the tail and it is more likely to be damage from the environment. Increasing cage size or offering more time out of the cage may help. Though with damage the appearance of the feathers may not improve until your bird molts.

Removing that mirror was a great idea, mirrors are not ideal toys for birds. You had a good instinct with that. :)