• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about rats...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
In my research to come up with new useless facts to posts, I came across this..."Rats laugh when you tickle them."

All you roadies that have rats...is this true...

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's ultrasonic which means that we can't hear it, but people who have the right equipment have tried this and rats do make a laughing/giggling sound when tickled. It seems to correlate with happiness and relaxation. Rats who are under stress (e.g. from bright lights or being in an unfamiliar environment) make fewer of these sounds.

Rats do enjoy play-wrestling, both with each other and with human hands. I used to play-wrestle with mine and push them around gently, and they'd wrestle back, bounce around and come back for more.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thanks for the info...that's fascinating indeed!

I knew rats are very playful...so it would make perfect sense they laugh when they are happy...:)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I contemplated getting a bat detector so I could listen to mine at home! They communicate a lot at frequencies we can't hear.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yes :) And not all of them like to be tickled :lol: Stark does and Parker did, but Wilson is not a fan :p
..I would think that would be true...every animal is an individual, and would react differently...;)

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
So interesting! I can't imagine anyone or anything likes being tickled but I guess some do. That reminds me of this video I saw a while back. I was blown away by how playful a rat can be, because sadly I've never interacted with one, but it looks like this girl tickles her rat too...and s/he obviously likes it

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
OMg... I thought it was more of an assault on that rat than tickling. I would not have tickled a rat as vigorous as that. Heck, if I was that rat I'd probably be squeaking my ratsass off! :D

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So interesting! I can't imagine anyone or anything likes being tickled but I guess some do. That reminds me of this video I saw a while back. I was blown away by how playful a rat can be, because sadly I've never interacted with one, but it looks like this girl tickles her rat too...and s/he obviously likes it

OHmygoodness.... that's one big rat!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
In my research to come up with new useless facts to posts, I came across this..."Rats laugh when you tickle them."

All you roadies that have rats...is this true...
I can't say... but mine would sing for treats....

ratstg2.jpg