• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Question about Prozyme (Enzyme Supplement)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Ollie (Orange-winged Amazon) is not digesting his food properly (this was discussed in another thread). It was suggested that I get some Prozyme for him which arrived yesterday:

The ingredients include Aspergillus niger and Aspergillus oryzae:

Ollie already has Aspergillosis - should I avoid giving this to him? Thanks for any advice. :)

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It does not actually contain aspergillus, it's saying that aspergillus was used to make some of the enzymes. This is a fairly common practice and it uses non-pathological strains.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:D
I think I asked my vet the very same question when he handed me a bottle years ago. Scary little word when you know what it is, huh?
As said, it does not contain asper and if Ollie is having trouble breaking down food you will really like it. It's great stuff.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Like other fungus and bacteria there are dozens of strains of Aspergillus yet only 10 or 12 of them are able to cause (pathogenic) disease. E. coli is a bacterial example of the same characteristics as aspergillosus.

"Most strains of E. coli are not harmful but are part of the healthful bacterial flora in the human gut. However, some types can cause illness in humans, including diarrhea, abdominal pain, fever, and sometimes vomiting. E. coli O157:H7 is one of the strains, and produces a toxin known as Shiga ." E. coli infection: Symptoms, causes, and treatment

"As of 2008, a further seven Aspergillus species have had their genomes sequenced: the industrially useful A. niger (two strains), A. oryzae, and A. terreus, and the pathogens A. clavatus, A. fischerianus (Neosartorya fischeri), A. flavus, and A. fumigatus (two strains)." Aspergillus - Wikipedia

This is one of the reasons that cultures and sensitivity tests are important in the treatment. Not all strains are sensitive to the same antibiotics. An example of that is Streptoccocus where one strain MRSA (methicillum resistant streptococcus aureaus) is resistant to many antibiotics that the other strains are sensitive to.

It is amazing and complicated.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Gosh, thank you so much for all that info, Enigma, Macawnutz and Hankmacaw! And thank you Shezbug for your alerts. Yes it was alarming to read especially Aspergillus niger.

It only gives rough directions for dogs and cats - guessing I should just sprinkle a pinch on his food morning and evening. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That is the highly scientific dosage my vet told me. It's a very accurate measurement - LOL