• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about potential cockatiel allergies!

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone! I am currently looking to get a baby cockatiel this coming winter. However, I am worried about the dust, because I hear that allergies can cause severe damage to the lungs.

I have two budgies which I don't think I am allergic to, but I also have an air purifier and keep the area clean. I'm allergic to cats and dogs so I worry that I will be allergic to cockatiels as well! I will be interacting with one soon to see if I am.

If I am allergic, am I doomed to never own a cockatiel? Does anyone with cockatiel allergies own one? Is it sufficient to vacuum often and clean the cage/bathe them? My worry is that the bird will have to sleep in my room. I do have a nice HEPA air purifier though. I don't think lung damage is worth keeping a pet though, so I'd like to know :)

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Depending you interaction with a cockatiel goes, and how severe your allergies are, it should be fine. My brother is allergic to cats and dust, but he's fine whenever he is playing with my cockatiel Ember. Usually when she doesn't give off too much dust, only sometimes before she showers when she hasn't bathed for a while, and always after when she begins preening her wet feathers.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I worry about the dust sometimes, too, because I'm considering adopting a cockatiel. I'm getting a air purifier with a HEPA filter (no ionization!). Is bathing a bird every day too much? I thought that might help?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It depends on your allergies. I am allergic to cats, etc. But my tiels don't bother me. An air purifier and frequent cleaning helps.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
It depends on your allergies. I am allergic to cats, etc. But my tiels don't bother me. An air purifier and frequent cleaning helps.
That gives me hope!! I'm super allergic to most animals but not my budgies so hopefully cockatiels won't be a problem! I'm really excited to go meet one now :) Thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That gives me hope!! I'm super allergic to most animals but not my budgies so hopefully cockatiels won't be a problem! I'm really excited to go meet one now :) Thank you!
Can you spend time with one before getting one to see?

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
I have pretty dusty birds, including a cockatiel, but they don’t seem to bother me. Like other people have recommend, an air purifier is great!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It could be a good idea to be tested for feather allergies.

I recently found out I am allergic to (Olea Europaea and) ¨dust mites¨.. I don´t know if that is the same as testing positive for ¨dust¨ allergy but the dust from my birds does nothing to me as there´s no mites.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone for your replies!! I interacted with a cockatiel very close to my face for about an hour today, and I noticed no allergy symptoms, but I still had to have a mask on as it was a pet store, so I really can't be 100% sure if I'm not allergic.

But oh my goodness, I am in love with these gentle comical birds! ToT so cute!!

truenorth

Moving in
Real Name
Cheryl Newman
Allergies too were a concern of ours. That can be a deal breaker. We took the risk. If one is allergic the allergies can build up over time seemingly nothing at first and then worsen. Two members of the family now experience sore throat and nasal congestion. It is also high allergy season so hard to know where it is coming from. A few tips...Vac. often, mist the paper at the bottom of cage before removing, bath or mist a few times a week, HEPA air purifier, good allergy meds. My thought, we can deal with simple allergy symptoms but if it moves to the lungs that is a different story.