• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about perches

Coradams

Meeting neighbors
So my surprise cockatiel came with a cage that had only one perch. It is one of those rope perches so I a natural stick perch. It makes sense that different perches would feel better that standing with your feet in the same position all the time. Bur I notices she also stands on the flat cover of her food dish. I want to give her something where she can stand flat on her feet. I have read that pine is good for perches and I have the end that we cut off the Christmas tree. I was thinking of cutting it in half and attaching each to the ends of a dowel rod so that there are two platforms with a perch i between. What I don't know is how to prep the wood. Should I bake or boil it? Should I strip off the bark or is it ok if she picks at it? Should I seal the wood with something? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
What I don't know is how to prep the wood. Should I bake or boil it?
No, need to boil, just bake is fine, IMO.
Should I strip off the bark or is it ok if she picks at it? Should I seal the wood with something?
Once you have baked it, it will be germ free, so no need to strip the bark. My budgies loved to chew on the bark :). Make sure she isn't eating it though.

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
I prepped branches by washing them in dish soap and then spritzing it with vinegar. Then I wiped some of the dirt off with paper towels, and let the branches sit for a few days. There are many methods and there is even a member who just gives the branches to their birds.