• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about parrots as pets

Tweety1510

Moving in
Real Name
Shayla
Hi, I'm new here!
So I live in WA, and we have parrots here called 28 parrots (or the Australian Ring neck). I am currently looking after a 28 at home, and i have been since she was about 2 weeks from leaving the nest. I was given her from someone who found her fallen out of the nest and being harassed by crows, so they grabbed her and brought her into the pet shop my friend works at. The bird wasn't injured, but was too young to be put in the bush to fend for itself. I have hand raised many birds like budgies and lorikeets from breeders, so when i was asked to hand raise a 28 parrot, i was excited.
She is now fully feathered and pretty much fully coloured and is starting to learn how to fly. She isn't off baby food completely but is starting to eat branches and harder food. I'm not sure of her actual age though.
So, my question is, can you keep a 28 as a pet? The only reason i'm considering keeping her is because i feel like because shes been raised and is now used to humans, would it be worse to release her when she is ready to go? She is so sweet and always wants to sit on my shoulder and cuddle close to my face and loves to be pat. I know i could have tried harder to not be so affectionate with her, but when you hand raise it's hard to not be hands on.
Now, if i was to keep her as a pet, i would make sure she gets the diet and habitat she needs and make sure she has lots of space. We do have a budgie at home, but she doesn't really pay attention to the 28.
Of course if keeping her isn't a good idea, i will definitely release her, but i feel like its gonna be sad to part with her haha.
I need some opinions on what to do or any advice will help, thanks guys.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. If she is imprinted on humans then it may be difficult to release her. Do people in Australia have them as pets? To release her she would have to be trained to survive in the wild. I would think that she would not be a good candidate for releasing back to the wild because of the imprinting. How old is she now and does she have a name?
She sounds so sweet and it is wonderful that you rescued her.
I found a baby house sparrow a little bit over 10 years ago and I raised him. I could not release him because he was injured in the fall from the nest his legs were broken so he can't perch but he was very imprinted on me any way so even if he had no injuries I couldn't have released him.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Hi, I'm new here!
So I live in WA, and we have parrots here called 28 parrots (or the Australian Ring neck). I am currently looking after a 28 at home, and i have been since she was about 2 weeks from leaving the nest. I was given her from someone who found her fallen out of the nest and being harassed by crows, so they grabbed her and brought her into the pet shop my friend works at. The bird wasn't injured, but was too young to be put in the bush to fend for itself. I have hand raised many birds like budgies and lorikeets from breeders, so when i was asked to hand raise a 28 parrot, i was excited.
She is now fully feathered and pretty much fully coloured and is starting to learn how to fly. She isn't off baby food completely but is starting to eat branches and harder food. I'm not sure of her actual age though.
So, my question is, can you keep a 28 as a pet? The only reason i'm considering keeping her is because i feel like because shes been raised and is now used to humans, would it be worse to release her when she is ready to go? She is so sweet and always wants to sit on my shoulder and cuddle close to my face and loves to be pat. I know i could have tried harder to not be so affectionate with her, but when you hand raise it's hard to not be hands on.
Now, if i was to keep her as a pet, i would make sure she gets the diet and habitat she needs and make sure she has lots of space. We do have a budgie at home, but she doesn't really pay attention to the 28.
Of course if keeping her isn't a good idea, i will definitely release her, but i feel like its gonna be sad to part with her haha.
I need some opinions on what to do or any advice will help, thanks guys.
Welcome, Pictures! :sunflower:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes you certainly can.......I had some! They are great little companions. I think if you have hand raised the bird you will not be able to safely release it as it will not know how to fend for itself or what things to look out for. I am not sure of the legalities of owning them there now but as there are so many of them about I would guess it would not be a problem given how it ended up in your care.

I would love to see some pictures of your baby if you can, it has been so long since I have seen the 28's.....they are such pretty parrots.

Tweety1510

Moving in
Real Name
Shayla
@iamwhoiam Thank you. They can be kept as pets here, i just didn't want to keep her from the wild if that's where she was originally from, although i don't think she would remember much because she was young. I haven't named her so i don't get too attached haha but she is probably around 2-3 months now

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Tweety1510 thank you for posting those pictures.......I have not seen one of these guys for years and I do love them so much. Your little one is very adorable and will look forward to a long happy life with you by the looks of those pics. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and hearing more about your adventures together :) (sorry, I just assumed you would be keeping the little one?)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will say that the day you rescued her was the first day of the rest of your life together.
She will never survive in the wild, she was to young when you found her.
My two advice is: Start to enjoy her, you will have a great little friend in her and name her, she deserves it! :)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope everything goes well for you and you find there is nothing to stop you from legally keeping her.