• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about pairing

Maribullah

Moving in
We have two males and two female budgies in a large cage and all is well as they really seem to enjoy their space . I change up the enrichment toys and treats and they are so much fun to watch. When I look at advice for pairing budgies, the conventional wisdom seems to say that two males are good, a male and female together is okay but may result in unwanted egg-laying, and pairing two females may not be recommended because of tendencies toward aggressiveness. However, when I watch my budgies, the two females seem to be bonded. They are very often together, feeding each other, touching beaks and generally being very affectionate to each other.

A friend of ours is delighted with the birds and we've discussed her taking two from our little flock. Given the behavior of my females, which pairing off would you recommend?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
This is tough. You are right as usually a male and female pair works best but there is no hard and fast rule for this. 2 males generally get along without the distraction of females. Females can squabble with each other but when they are the only 2 can get along just fine. Fear of eggs isn't really a problem as they can be discarded. I might be inclined to separate them into male and female pairs before deciding to give 2 away to see how they adapt. They may have already accepted their flock of 4. Separation might cause some anxiety. How long have they been together and do you have an approximate age on them?

Spyglass29

Strolling the yard
So, every budgie is different, and you know your flock best. Which two do you think would work best together?
I agree with Lori that separation could cause them to become anxious. I also think it would be a good idea to separate them into male and female pairs and see how they do.
I’ve had male-female and male-male pairs. In my experience, two males do very well together…although like I said above, every bird is different and you know your flock best.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How many budgies are involved & who is friends with whom? Names with ages would definitely help! I'd be leery of splitting up friends. Seems unnecessary & mean.

Maribullah

Moving in
They've been together for about a year and were fairly young when we got them. I have another cage and maybe will run a trial to see if they are happy with a twosome. Thanks for all your responses!