• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

question about my new U2 Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginas Girls

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gina
I hope Im posting this in the right place?For the past 2 days Penny seems to be chattering (not beak grinding) and rolling her tongue around...Any ideas on what this could be?

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
Not sure about the chttering of the beak but the rolling of the tongue Isis will do that when she likes something...

sewing4eight

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
Sadie does this as well. My kids have said that it's like she is "purring".

Ginas Girls

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gina
But do your birds do it constantly? She seems to do it the whole time shes awake?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Can you take a video of it and post it??

SultanMyM2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Can you take a video of it and post it??
Hi John Penny is Ginas bird the one we just got(yes I'm a nice man to get her for Gina hahaha) .We can't take a video until this weekend when we get our new cam.But I'm not sure what shes doing almost like shes chewing gum? but her tongue is always rolling around in her mouth.Other than that she seems very happy but still skittish (only been here a week) she seems to be adjusting as well to be expected for a weeks time.She isnt making any noises when she does it but should we be worried? maybe a nervous thing? Shes not plucking shes eating well comes in & out of her cage so all that seems ok.

emilybsharp

Real Name
Emily
Ozzie clicks his beak if hes happy and content, OR when hes all worked up playing and unpredictable.

Another option could be, do you guys chew gum? The grey we have copies me when i eat swedish fish, chomps and all LOL how embarressing

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sometimes they get a tiny little wad of spittle in their mouth and roll it around and it almost looks like they're chewing gum.

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Sometimes they get a tiny little wad of spittle in their mouth and roll it around and it almost looks like they're chewing gum.

John I was just going to say the same thing When I saw he said it was like chewing gum.. I knew then thats what it sounded like to me then..

SultanMyM2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
That exactly what it looks like John I looked close & it looks like shes playing w/ something in there

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Tongue waggling can sometimes be a breeding behaviour apparently...but it doesn't sound like it in this case..can't help..sorry.

Ginas Girls

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gina
Well thank you all for your help....I have a lot to learn being a first time bird owner. Penny is awesome though and I wouldn't get rid of her for anything...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
This helps with their digestion. I dont think any other parrot does this but a cockatoo. Infact I have only seen it in WHITE cockatoos, no M2 I have been around does this "spit rolling".

wolfysluv

Real Name
rebecca stout
I so understand why it concerns you. Tika has always done this and I've always worried about it. I don't know if it's exactly the same or not. She rolls her tongue and stretches it all over the place. Many times side to side. It's diff than when she's playing with a speck of something in her mouth. She mostly does it while in her collar (from boredome I think cause she can't pick). I never thought to get a video. Great idea. I'll do that. I'd feel so much better if I knew it was okay.

The chattering ... Is like a super fast, soft clattering of teeth? Like the toy you winde up? Tika does that but only when I go to kiss her, or handle her. It's always in great anticipation of something. It's not a lot.

She's a goffin by the way.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
My goffin, sulfer crested and Molluccan all do the "chattering" thing. It's like they are talking but nothing comes out. They do it alot when they are being talked to or getting excited while playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.