• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about my GCC's health (sad update post #52)

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
I love this parrot and i will never rehome him, he is my best friend and my only friend. Im going to take him to the vet when i can but it may not be for a while. I know hes in not that well of health, hence why i took to this website to try to help him for right at the moment
diet change should be fine :) it shows you care about him and when you’re able to get him to the vet then you can better understand any other underlying issues

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I love this parrot and i will never rehome him, he is my best friend and my only friend. Im going to take him to the vet when i can but it may not be for a while. I know hes in not that well of health, hence why i took to this website to try to help him for right at the moment
Betty, my goodness. Thank you for hanging in there with people being somewhat rude to you. I'm sorry.

I'm glad you came here for help, and if you can hang in here people will help you.

I do not have conure but there are others who have. However by now I think you have gotten the idea of a proper diet:
Pellets, if you believe in using them - I think in your case you should.
Some seed, not a lot
vegetables and grains, more than fruit. Fruit is sugary. In fact I have a flock of 50 and I don't feed fruit ... maybe only once in 2-3 months. And then they don't like it because they're not used to it! :laugh:
You can make quinoa for her (Him?) I forgot which.... or just soak oatmeal in hot water, you don't even have to cook it. Throw in a few frozen veggies and you're done.
Or shave some broccoli, give a little bit of green beans or sweet potato. It's pretty easy once you get used to it.
The very best healthy option is sprouts. Like instead of seeds, you sprout the seeds. It turns a seed into a little powerhouse of nutrition.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Keep it civil, please. Accusing and tearing someone down is going to accomplish nothing. It's fine if you have constructive criticism, but remember the key word, there - constructive.

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
diet change should be fine :) it shows you care about him and when you’re able to get him to the vet then you can better understand any other underlying issues
Exactly. As soon as i noticed c
Betty, my goodness. Thank you for hanging in there with people being somewhat rude to you. I'm sorry.

I'm glad you came here for help, and if you can hang in here people will help you.

I do not have conure but there are others who have. However by now I think you have gotten the idea of a proper diet:
Pellets, if you believe in using them - I think in your case you should.
Some seed, not a lot
vegetables and grains, more than fruit. Fruit is sugary. In fact I have a flock of 50 and I don't feed fruit ... maybe only once in 2-3 months. And then they don't like it because they're not used to it! :laugh:
You can make quinoa for her (Him?) I forgot which.... or just soak oatmeal in hot water, you don't even have to cook it. Throw in a few frozen veggies and you're done.
Or shave some broccoli, give a little bit of green beans or sweet potato. It's pretty easy once you get used to it.
The very best healthy option is sprouts. Like instead of seeds, you sprout the seeds. It turns a seed into a little powerhouse of nutrition.
Omg thank you. And yeah it was a little hard keeping my cool and it upsetted me a little when they said that i dont care about his health and stuff. But thank you so much for being kind im really thankful for that. Kips a boy and he doesnt seem to like any veggies lol. What i have been doing the passed couple of days is ive gave him some of his seed that hes used to eating and another bowl of veggies like carrots, lettuce and cale. All cut up and mixed, he only eats the carrots though. Ive been giving him less bird seeds everyday and just trying to make him eat the other stuff but he just isnt interested. Im going to use your advice though so hopfully he'll start to enjoy the healthy food !

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When you put the veg in the bowl try sprinkling some of the seed over the veg so your bird will have to get the seed off the veggies. They sometimes end up getting a taste of something new and liking it. There is also a higher chance it will try new veggies (even if accidentally) if the seed has to be picked off it

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
These may help also:

Also try to give him toys that he can shred instead of his feathers. Balsa, cork, mahogany pod slices, yucca, paper, cardboard, etc.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Even just bending the empty paper towel thingie (the cardboard) and putting it thru his bars, mine love to chew that.

Also - it may take some time. It might take a LONG time to transition him. Don’t get discouraged. Do plan on wasting a little food. LOL

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
When you put the veg in the bowl try sprinkling some of the seed over the veg so your bird will have to get the seed off the veggies. They sometimes end up getting a taste of something new and liking it. There is also a higher chance it will try new veggies (even if accidentally) if the seed has to be picked off it
I tried that too but that little butthead only eats the seeds and leaves the veggies

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
Even just bending the empty paper towel thingie (the cardboard) and putting it thru his bars, mine love to chew that.

Also - it may take some time. It might take a LONG time to transition him. Don’t get discouraged. Do plan on wasting a little food. LOL
Haha yeah i know. It takes time. And i make little bird toys out of string and cardboard and little wooden cube things. He just takes to over grooming. I tried ordering a cone for him from allie express but the thing wont even go around my pinky comfortably. He loves ripping up tolet paper and paper towl though so i might just buy a couple rolls of the cheap stuff for him to have a hay day with

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
My lovely baby Kip saddly passed last night due to my mothers cat getting him. I know about what every one thinks of that statement and i just want to be clear that i kept him in my room away from the cat but i wasn't paying attentiom and my door got left open, cuddled him but there was just nothing that could be done. Thank you to all the people who tried to help with his diet. :,)

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry to hear of your loss :(

finchly