• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about my GCC's health (sad update post #52)

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
What do i do when he wont eat anything other than carrots, im not sure on how to go about this. He wont eat any other kibble other then extream

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Keep trying. Offer the food different ways. Try mixed veggies and add some sweet potato or boiled egg. You can steam the sweet potato- I’ve never had a bird refuse it.
Grate some broccoli. Chop nuts really fine and mix them with the veggies.
Also, a mistake I see is people offer a food once and say oh well he didn’t like it. Instead, offer it every day for a week. He’ll get used to seeing it and maybe try it.

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
Keep trying. Offer the food different ways. Try mixed veggies and add some sweet potato or boiled egg. You can steam the sweet potato- I’ve never had a bird refuse it.
Grate some broccoli. Chop nuts really fine and mix them with the veggies.
Also, a mistake I see is people offer a food once and say oh well he didn’t like it. Instead, offer it every day for a week. He’ll get used to seeing it and maybe try it.
Alright well ill definitely try doing so!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
That isn't just over grooming, it definitely looks like plucking. Either way, he's likely in pain. I highly recommend a vet visit.

For now, try to improve the diet and offer baths, it might help relieve his skin during a moult. You can just use a clean spray bottle and mist him every few days, or try offering a shallow pan of water.

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
That isn't just over grooming, it definitely looks like plucking. Either way, he's likely in pain. I highly recommend a vet visit.

For now, try to improve the diet and offer baths, it might help relieve his skin during a moult. You can just use a clean spray bottle and mist him every few days, or try offering a shallow pan of water.
He likes baths, has one everyday. I have a humidifier in my room and i can assure you its not plucking. I keep a very close eye on him and he just sits there and grooms constantly. Im trying to make him eat veggies. Im unable to take him to a vet and he hasnt been to one since ever. I know that makes me sound really bad but i just unable to

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
Do you weigh him regularly? Has he had any accidents? Sounds like you are feeding him too much fruits - fruits are high in sugars and contribute to fatty liver disease and diabetes and heart problems. How long since he has seen a veterinarian?

Birds don't generally pluck out of boredom, there is almost always an underlying issue whether psychological or physical. I'd get him to a vet to check for any physical problems.

I weighed him like 5 days ago and he was like 58 grams. Hes under weight and the only veggie he will eat is carrots, he wont eat anything else and i cant get him any other kind of healthy food, he has extream and thats it. I dont know what to do

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Are you feeding him pellets? If he is eating one of the good pellets, he is getting all of the nutrients that he needs. If he is on a mostly or all seed died he is most likely missing several critical nutrients in his diet.

I don't understand what "extream" is. Pellets for Parrots

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
Are you feeding him pellets? If he is eating one of the good pellets, he is getting all of the nutrients that he needs. If he is on a mostly or all seed died he is most likely missing several critical nutrients in his diet.

I don't understand what "extream" is. Pellets for Parrots
He only eats the seeds from it. Its a brand of bird seed. He is so picky and because i didnt do any research when i first got him so the passed 5 years hes been eating that and fruits, i didnt even know parrots ate veggies like that till like the last month. I mean he ate carrots but thats it

Attachments

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
He only eats the seeds from it. Its a brand of bird seed. He is so picky and because i didnt do any research when i first got him so the passed 5 years hes been eating that and fruits, i didnt even know parrots ate veggies like that till like the last month. I mean he ate carrots but thats it
if you didn't know parrots ate veggies, I question the care for your parrot. you should never get an animal without proper research, especially a bird.. It seems like you're deflecting from the original problem at hand. Your conure is in need of proper care, we have provided you with all of the resources to make the change but it seems like you are giving up on this bird. That brand is also full of sugar, you said he's on a seed diet and fruits...that's a lot of sugar and fat. If you care about this bird, you need to find an avian vet to see any underlying issues and make a diet change. Your bird's life will depend on your care.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Which country do you live in. An all seed diet is not appropriate for any bird and a bird eating fruits and vegetable will not make up for the nutr ients lost by not feeding pellets. Your bird is a conure and although small is more closely related to macaws than to the small granivores such as parakeets and cockatiels and parottlets. Get a pellet (Preferably) that has no sugar and no dyes and has adequate Vit D3.
Pellets for Parrots
You need to change his diet immediately and get him to a vet even sooner or as @peachypjm says - this bird's life depends on proper care by you.

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
if you didn't know parrots ate veggies, I question the care for your parrot. you should never get an animal without proper research, especially a bird.. It seems like you're deflecting from the original problem at hand. Your conure is in need of proper care, we have provided you with all of the resources to make the change but it seems like you are giving up on this bird. That brand is also full of sugar, you said he's on a seed diet and fruits...that's a lot of sugar and fat. If you care about this bird, you need to find an avian vet to see any underlying issues and make a diet change. Your bird's life will depend on your care.
Yes i understand and i love this bird to death, i got him at 9 and my mom didnt use the internet that much at the time, so yeah. I know im not taking the proper care for him and im trying my best with what i have, ive gotten him pellets before but he just didnt eat them. I love kip so much. Im not giving up on him, im still trying to make him better with what i got

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
Which country do you live in. An all seed diet is not appropriate for any bird and a bird eating fruits and vegetable will not make up for the nutr ients lost by not feeding pellets. Your bird is a conure and although small is more closely related to macaws than to the small granivores such as parakeets and cockatiels and parottlets. Get a pellet (Preferably) that has no sugar and no dyes and has adequate Vit D3.
Pellets for Parrots
You need to change his diet immediately and get him to a vet even sooner or as @peachypjm says - this bird's life depends on proper care by you.
I cant get him to a vet, im a minor and im trying the best im able to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Then there is little more I can help you with. I have given you all of the information you need and now you need to put it into practice.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
I cant get him to a vet, im a minor and im trying the best im able to.
I am only 2 years older than you, and I know better than to let my gcc go without a vet. You need to get your mom or guardian to get you to a vet. an emergency one would be a better option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
Then there is little more I can help you with. I have given you all of the information you need and now you need to put it into practice.
I am. My moms looking into getting some good pellets and ill try to ween him off of his food hes eating now

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
I am only 2 years older than you, and I know better than to let my gcc go without a vet. You need to get your mom or guardian to get you to a vet. an emergency one would be a better option.
How am i suppose to get to a vet when its expensive and i cant drive. I have no way to get to a vet. Thats why i took to this damn website. Im trying to help my baby.

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
Pellets for Parrots
I live in canada, i love this bird and im trying the legit best im able to, ive been giving him cale and lettuce

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
How am i suppose to get to a vet when its expensive and i cant drive. I have no way to get to a vet. Thats why i took to this damn website. Im trying to help my baby.
I can't drive either, that's why I get an adult to do so for me. I'm also from a lower income family, so I understand the expenses. Your bird matters more than the money right now. It seems like you want us all to tell you he'll be fine without a vet, but sadly that isn't the case. The right diet won't solve all of his issues. The best advice I can give you right now, since you can't afford a vet or get someone to take you, is to rehome him.

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
I can't drive either, that's why I get an adult to do so for me. I'm also from a lower income family, so I understand the expenses. Your bird matters more than the money right now. It seems like you want us all to tell you he'll be fine without a vet, but sadly that isn't the case. The right diet won't solve all of his issues. The best advice I can give you right now, since you can't afford a vet or get someone to take you, is to rehome him.
I love this parrot and i will never rehome him, he is my best friend and my only friend. Im going to take him to the vet when i can but it may not be for a while. I know hes in not that well of health, hence why i took to this website to try to help him for right at the moment