• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about my GCC's health (sad update post #52)

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
So i have a 5 year old greencheek conure, hes very playful and I spend all day with him. However, im concerned if hes fully healthy or not. His diet has bananas, apples and grapes almost everyday. He gets lots of cuddles, scratches, pets etc. Hes over grooming, im guessing out of boredom but im buying new toys whenever i have the chance to. He is a very happy birdie for the most part but i am worried about him because his wing bone ( not his shoulder) is poking out a little, im not sure if its just because hes a small parrot or if im some how doing somthing wrong. 20210420_145225.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Do you weigh him regularly? Has he had any accidents? Sounds like you are feeding him too much fruits - fruits are high in sugars and contribute to fatty liver disease and diabetes and heart problems. How long since he has seen a veterinarian?

Birds don't generally pluck out of boredom, there is almost always an underlying issue whether psychological or physical. I'd get him to a vet to check for any physical problems.

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
Do you weigh him regularly? Has he had any accidents? Sounds like you are feeding him too much fruits - fruits are high in sugars and contribute to fatty liver disease and diabetes and heart problems. How long since he has seen a veterinarian?

Birds don't generally pluck out of boredom, there is almost always an underlying issue whether psychological or physical. I'd get him to a vet to check for any physical problems.
I dont feed him too much considering hes gone over two weeks without them. I havint took him to the vet because there isnt any bird vets near by and its pricey. He doesnt pluck, he over grooms. I havint seen him pluck out any feathers nor have i found many laying around. He just sits most of the day grooming himself. His behavor hasnt changed at all other then him stop biting so much ( bird adolescent). And ive also read up that parrots are suppose to eat fruit with most meals, although, i dont give him that

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
His diet has bananas, apples and grapes almost everyday.
Most vets and nutritionist say twice a week for fruits is ideal.

He has plucked the Green feathers from his back.
1618948117340.png

I drive 1 1/2 hours to my vet and other who are members drive 3-4 hours one way. How much is your bird worth to you?

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
I dont feed him too much considering hes gone over two weeks without them. I havint took him to the vet because there isnt any bird vets near by and its pricey. He doesnt pluck, he over grooms. I havint seen him pluck out any feathers nor have i found many laying around. He just sits most of the day grooming himself. His behavor hasnt changed at all other then him stop biting so much ( bird adolescent). And ive also read up that parrots are suppose to eat fruit with most meals, although, i dont give him that
Yes almost, not everyday exactly. During the winter its harder to get fresh fruit for him but now im starting to get him more fruits and such lately, wont be able to get him much fruits for the next six weeks though. ( obviously i will still get him fruits during that time but not as often)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
what is the rest of the diet beyond fruits?

They can pluck or barber for many reasons - poor diet, boredom, anxiety, and even medical reasons (pain, as an example, can cause animals to overgroom).

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
what is the rest of the diet beyond fruits?

They can pluck or barber for many reasons - poor diet, boredom, anxiety, and even medical reasons (pain, as an example, can cause animals to overgroom).
Do you know what could cause that pain?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you know what could cause that pain?
It depends on the cause. A vet would need to rule that out. It can be organ, muscle, bone, etc.

That's even if that's the actual cause.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
So i have a 5 year old greencheek conure, hes very playful and I spend all day with him. However, im concerned if hes fully healthy or not. His diet has bananas, apples and grapes almost everyday. He gets lots of cuddles, scratches, pets etc. Hes over grooming, im guessing out of boredom but im buying new toys whenever i have the chance to. He is a very happy birdie for the most part but i am worried about him because his wing bone ( not his shoulder) is poking out a little, im not sure if its just because hes a small parrot or if im some how doing somthing wrong. View attachment 379859
what else is apart of his diet? apples, bananas, and grapes shouldn't be fed every day as they are high in sugar. He needs a good pellet and veggies.

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
what else is apart of his diet? apples, bananas, and grapes shouldn't be fed every day as they are high in sugar. He needs a good pellet and veggies.
He eats extream gourmet parrot food, hes been eating that the passed five years, its only been the passed year that hes been having problems, at first it was just little bits but now its been a littke worse, as the picture i posted shows

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does he eat everything from the Extreme?

IMO that food is far too high in fat for most parrots. I would switch him to a pellet and leave nuts, seeds, and fruits as treats only (10% or less of the diet)

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
He eats extream gourmet parrot food, hes been eating that the passed five years, its only been the passed year that hes been having problems, at first it was just little bits but now its been a littke worse, as the picture i posted shows
I would try a pellet in low sugar, like Harrison's or roudybush. and more veggies like leafy greens, carrots, snap peas, broccoli, peppers..

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
Does he eat everything from the Extreme?

IMO that food is far too high in fat for most parrots. I would switch him to a pellet and leave nuts, seeds, and fruits as treats only (10% or less of the diet)
Oh crap!! I didnt know this. I sometimes get the seed from bulkbarn.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Does your little guy like veggies too?

Also, if you are willing to share your general location hopefully some of our members can help you locate a suitable vet. Most of us are not lucky enough to live close to an avian vet, it’s always best to know where one is incase of an emergency.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Okay will do. Thank you!
overall, a trip to the avian vet is best needed to determine fully what the root issue is. like @Shezbug said, if you feel comfortable sharing your general location, some of the members on the forum can help you locate an appropriate avian vet. for diet, look up how to convert him off of seeds/whatever you are feeding him at the moment. Harrison's pellets or roudybush is a great start, my green cheek, same age as yours, loves roudybush! just be sure to get the appropriate pellet size for your conure. introduce him to more veggies, having apples, grapes, and bananas all the time is a lot of sugar that can be hard on his health. use grapes, bananas, and apples as occasional treats! fruit shouldn't be given in high amounts. as a tip, give fruit when he's the most active so he can burn off the sugar and calories. for veggies, try collard greens and kale properly chopped up, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, snap peas, green beans, cauliflower, and you can occasionally give him cucumber. does he have a proper source of light? is he getting enough sunlight? Either way, buying a proper avian uv light would probably help with his feather quality along with the diet I recommend. for fruits, try blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, but in moderation. lower intake of nuts and seeds right now, he needs to focus more on healthier things.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Definitely would advise making an appointment for him.
While a diet change will certainly help, organ problems can cause bird’s feathers to change appearance or like in your bird, over-grooming/plucking.

Once you rule out illness and know his vitals are okay (liver, kidneys, pancreas etc.), you’ll be better equipped to help him with diet restriction/alteration. Good luck, keep us updated!

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
Most vets and nutritionist say twice a week for fruits is ideal.

He has plucked the Green feathers from his back.
View attachment 379867

I drive 1 1/2 hours to my vet and other who are members drive 3-4 hours one way. How much is your bird worth to you?
It isnt plucked. I know it looks like it but he over groomed all his feathers and hes molting, i know it doesnt get that bad just by molting. And my parrot means alot to me but im unable to bring him to a vet due to personal reasons

Betty.L.W

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Betty
Definitely would advise making an appointment for him.
While a diet change will certainly help, organ problems can cause bird’s feathers to change appearance or like in your bird, over-grooming/plucking.

Once you rule out illness and know his vitals are okay (liver, kidneys, pancreas etc.), you’ll be better equipped to help him with diet restriction/alteration. Good luck, keep us updated!
I will! Sadly he doesnt like any veggies other than carrots. Seems rather itchy aswell. Partly due to molting.