• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about light in the room where parrot is.

Archer90

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

At the beginning I would like to point out that I do not mean lighting the cage, but only the bulbs in the room.

The short point is, can an ordinary bulb light up cause the bird to feel a little restless and try to avoid it? I've been thinking about it for some time.

ATM days are shorter and we return home around 5pm, turn on the light and let out the parrot. At the beginning he is either a bit angry (because he was alone all day) or he comes to us immediately. After about an hour when he eats / drinks / spents a bit time with us, he flies to the window and hides behind the curtain where he just falls asleep and stays there until about 21. Later I put him in the cage.

I will add that during the day the parrot sleeps, eats, cleans and sometimes plays.

I wonder if it is not affected by the fact that the bulb in the middle of the room protrudes a little and sometimes it seems to me to he is avoiding it. I also noticed that he does not like to sit in full sun and almost always hides in a darker place / where the sun does not shine directly at the moment.

I don't use fluorescent lamps or ordinary incandescent bulbs.

Do you know what the reason may be?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes the lights in the room can affect a bird. Depending on the type of bulb, it may blink in an unpleasant way (birds see flicker where we don't because they see "faster" than we do, even with LEDs). So it may very well cause them to avoid it.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I suggest that you buy some flicker free LED's and place over cage and over playstands.
I use daylight that has 6000k, very nice lightning for all of us.
My Christmas present to my girls was that I upgraded the LED's over their cages. (Went from LE to LED)

Flicker free LED's are more expensive, so the cheap ones are never flicker free.
And we don't want flicker too. Even if we can't see it our brain does and that can give you migraine and headache.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You might want to leave a light on in the room, either one above the cage or the room light while you are gone during the day. That way, there's no difference in lighting when you come home and turn lights on.

Archer90

Meeting neighbors
I am Actually doing it. I have a lamp just for his Cage and it is on all day. But it is not directly over his Cage, because like i wrote earlier he is avoiding direct sunlight.

At saturday i bought new LED bulb and right now it is a bit better i think, but i will still check it this week to see how he will react to it.

I am going to check the vendors for non flickering bulbs in my area just in case.

I will update after week or two if that helps.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I am going to check the vendors for non flickering bulbs in my area just in case.
Do that, you will notice a big difference in your bird's behavior.
They don't like flickering bulbs.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And it's easy to test with a mobile camera.
I drove to a big lamp store and was testing several bulbs, all cheap one did flicker, but also some expensive one.

Archer90

Meeting neighbors
And it's easy to test with a mobile camera.
I drove to a big lamp store and was testing several bulbs, all cheap one did flicker, but also some expensive one.
I also read about it. But on the site where ive got this info they said its not 100% accurate, because it depends on quality of your mobile camera. I checked my bulb this way and didnt see any flickering.

I didnt notice any difference, but my girlfriend told me she feels a bit better with this bulb so maybe i was lucky? ;-)