• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about how to handle cockatiels after one lays an egg

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some answers here as my googling hasn't given me any answers yet.

One of my cockatiels just laid an egg, and its the first time she's done so. I have a good idea of how to handle her and the egg going forward, but what I don't know is what to do with my other tiel. I know the egg isn't fertilized because my other tiel is also female. The egg was laid in their shared "day time" cage (they sleep in separate cages). So I'm wondering now:

1. Do I keep my second tiel out of the cage away from the egg? I don't know if other female cockatiels get attached to eggs they didn't lay or if she'd try to destroy it or something.

2. Do I keep my first tiel in the day time cage and don't move her to her night time one?

Thank you for any input!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I leave the egg in the cage along with my other tiel who didn’t lay the egg. I feel like the more the cage is not hospitable to egg laying, the less eggs will be laid, and my other female definitely isn’t conducive to a nice nesting area. Sometimes my other tiel will even try to sit on the egg. If this happens I take the egg out and put it next to the cage. I don’t want both girls thinking it’s time to lay eggs. I move the hen to her sleep cage as normal, with her egg. Sometimes I even leave the egg in the day cage, because her sleep cage is more dark, small, and nest like. It seems to work because she dosent have any type of nest, and she doesn’t sit on her eggs anymore. Before when she had her own cage and would lay, I would let her sit on her eggs in peace, but she would start laying a lot. Now it seems like shaking things up works better for her.

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
I leave the egg in the cage along with my other tiel who didn’t lay the egg. I feel like the more the cage is not hospitable to egg laying, the less eggs will be laid, and my other female definitely isn’t conducive to a nice nesting area. Sometimes my other tiel will even try to sit on the egg. If this happens I take the egg out and put it next to the cage. I don’t want both girls thinking it’s time to lay eggs. I move the hen to her sleep cage as normal, with her egg. Sometimes I even leave the egg in the day cage, because her sleep cage is more dark, small, and nest like. It seems to work because she dosent have any type of nest, and she doesn’t sit on her eggs anymore. Before when she had her own cage and would lay, I would let her sit on her eggs in peace, but she would start laying a lot. Now it seems like shaking things up works better for her.
This all makes a lot of sense, thank you! I can give this a try and just keep an eye on my other tiel to see how she behaves around the egg.