• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

question about getting an untamed bird into a crate

Status
Not open for further replies.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
hello~

my mom needs to get her new african grey into a carrier so he can go to the vet.

he does not allow her to touch him.

should she put towel over him, and just sort of stick him in there?

she is afraid to make him not trust her, or to scare him too much.

he is an older, newly adopted grey, and her crate is a cat carrier.

any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Does the carrier fit in the cage? You could put it inside the cage with the carrier door open and treats in the carrier. When he goes in you could close the carrier door.

Matt

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
The way I got Sammy into her carrier to go to the vet shortly after I got her was I put the carrier on the floor of her cage, put an almond in the back of the carrier, and then let her go in on her own timing, I started trying to put her in the carrier an hour or so BEFORE the vet visit just incase I couldn't get her in. She finally went in on her own terms and got the almond, and I quietly closed the door. Another thing that might make him settle in/be a bit less nervous is to put a blanket/towel over part of his carrier in the car ride and at the vet's office.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried to see if he will step up onto a perch? If not you will have to either lure him with treats into the crate or towel him.

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
same situation with mikko older rehomed grey. i towled her, stuck her in the crate and that was when i first got her. i also towled her every day twice a day for a week to give her meds and now shes starting to trust me. once you dont have to towel the bird anymore theyll learn your not a threat. i wouldnt worry about it

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
thanks so much everyone. yes, the carrier will fit into the cage. that's a good idea. i'll let her know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.