• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about Gastropexy procedure on dogs

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Just saw a Friend's post that her German Shepherd that is 1, is going in for spay and also this stomach procedure.

I have looked it up, and it's a serious abdominal surgery.

To prevent torsion (stomach twisting). It says Dogs can still get bloat even with this, but won't require emergency surgery.

Thoughts? I personally wouldn't do this.

@macawpower58 @Nikomania

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
If I remember correctly, it's tacking to the abdominal wall, right?

No, I wouldn't do it.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
If I remember correctly, it's tacking to the abdominal wall, right?

No, I wouldn't do it.
Yes. I am kind of mad at her. I babysat their old Beagle years ago. She was like if something happens, don't try to save him. Uhm, what?!

Now they have this pretty long haired GSD, and they can pay for her care. I am glad, but think this is ridiculous to put the dog through. Nowadays, they can do this without invasive surgery.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can’t believe this is now a somewhat preventative. seems very risky. I thought they only did this for emergency purposes to save their life when the stomach has already bloated.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Can’t believe this is now a somewhat preventative. seems very risky. I thought they only did this for emergency purposes to save their life when the stomach has already bloated.
Yes, they are doing it as preventive. I have never heard of it. Maybe things are different with other breeds.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I know torsion is horrific, but even when I was a tech it just wasn't a common issue. I think the fear of it is far more common than the occurrence.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I know torsion is horrific, but even when I was a tech it just wasn't a common issue. I think the fear of it is far more common than the occurrence.
I told her small, frequent meals. Elevated feeder, those foraging bowls making them eat slower.

Crazy, most dogs have a better chance injesting a toy part, or a sock requiring surgery over torsion.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
That's wise even though she's having this done. Stitches can be broken, things can shift, and dogs will be dogs!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I agree with you. I still don't agree with this procedure.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've known many GSDs that have had their stomachs tacked. I never knew the medical name.
I've also known many that died from bloat and/or torsion.
It's quite prevalent in this breed, and the tacking is pretty common these days.
I've also known of one that died even with the tack.
My poor breed is riddled with problems, this being one of the big ones.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I worked for a vet for 7 years and never saw one case of stomach torsion in all that time. Preventative sx like that seems akin to getting one's appendix out to prevent possible future appendicitis. Imo, the risk/reward ratio doesn't justify the procedure.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Just saw a Friend's post that her German Shepherd that is 1, is going in for spay and also this stomach procedure.

I have looked it up, and it's a serious abdominal surgery.

To prevent torsion (stomach twisting). It says Dogs can still get bloat even with this, but won't require emergency surgery.

Thoughts? I personally wouldn't do this.

@macawpower58 @Nikomania
Torsion is a life threatening condition that afflicts deep chested dogs such as German shepherds. Personally I believe it's an unnecessary procedure unless there's a history of it occurring within the dog's bloodlines. A much better option is to not allow the dog to rigorously exercise after a meal, which is when it's most likely to happen.
Just my 2 cents.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Torsion is a life threatening condition that afflicts deep chested dogs such as German shepherds. Personally I believe it's an unnecessary procedure unless there's a history of it occurring within the dog's bloodlines. A much better option is to not allow the dog to rigorously exercise after a meal, which is when it's most likely to happen.
Just my 2 cents.
Agreed! That's all dogs with eating and acting crazy. I have always fed multiple meals. We do 2x a day here, all dry kibble is moistened with water, easier to digest.

She said she got other opinions. So that's that i guess. I just asked you guys being GSD owners your thoughts.