• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about estimating age?

Fickle

Strolling the yard
I was told when I chose my new baby yesterday at the breeder that she is a female sky blue dilute about 4 months old they even gave me a hatch date of November 18 2022. The bars are still pretty clear on a lot of the head so compared to others in the same flight cage that they said were 7 months or 1 year old, comparing their head bars, that age seemed about right to me. Mine had the most head bars ascending up towards the cere. She was the only one left of that age they said, and she was a bit smaller than the rest and definitely appeared younger. The rest had clearly adult ceres and were easy to tell gender.

But when I got home and got her settled, I could see thin white iris rings in both eyes….. so does this mean she is more like 7-8 months old? Of all the pics we took yesterday, none are clear enough to show the iris rings but they are definitely there. Cute pic for anttention ♥ 385B734C-E249-4EAF-BCB8-12425B51DEFB.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Scorpi0

Sprinting down the street
Congrats on your new budgie!! She sure is a cutie!

This article might help in determining her age:

Fickle

Strolling the yard
Congrats on your new budgie!! She sure is a cutie!

This article might help in determining her age:

Upon closer inspection I don’t see white iris rings I was seeing the eye rim edge which is very light grey. Thanks!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe your budgie is a teenager. :)