• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about Covid with birds

Riomacaw

Moving in
I might have Covid and it take 3 days to find out and if I do is it bad to play with my bird? He’s a yellow collared macaw and I’m the only one who plays with him, Is it bad to play with him as if I do have it two weeks without him interacting with me would make him sad.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
According to the CDC website there is no evidence that chickens and ducks can get Covid. There was no mention about parrots. I definitely would not spend lots of time cuddling them or having lots of close contact with your bird just to be safe but from what I have read on the internet, you can probably continue caring for your bird. This is probably a question that you might want to ask your vet to be sure. Anyone else have other answers? I am no the expert and haven't experienced Covid first hand. I know that birds can be prone to respiratory ailments so I always turn over Walter's care to family members when I am under the weather (which thankfully is very rarely as I am a teacher and thus my immune system stays in prime shape)

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
My bf and I both had COVID months ago and all of our birds appeared totally unaffected. According to the CDC, "birds have not been affected by this virus."

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
That is so reassuring to know for all us bird owners that we can continue to care for our birds.