• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about cockatoorescue.org in Washington state.

Coop

Meeting neighbors
Does anyone know if this is a legitimate sanctuary? It looks very, very good in the website pictures and description BUT they do not allow any visitors whatsoever, have any outside volunteers, and state they will absolutely not take or post any photographs or videos of the birds or their sanctuary. I also do not see any reference to any vets they use. They are set up as a non-profit and take donations. My problem is that if absolutely nobody is allowed to see the place and check up on the situation, or even make sure the birds are still alive, under any circumstances, is there really a cockatoo sanctuary or is it some kind of money raising scam?

I'm asking because I'm getting old, and my Moluccan cockatoo is going to outlive me and I need to find someplace for him to go after my death. I've had him since he was 5 and at his age I don't want him to go into the "rehome" merry-go-round routine or even worse, the breeder trade. He was one of the thousands of wild-caught babies taken during the 1980's when native trappers were trying to beat the deadline on the regulations stopping the trade. He was imported by a man here in the U.S. as a weaned fledgling, and when he was 5 the family decided they wanted to tour the country in a Winnebago every summer and the motorhome wasn't big enough for them and the bird too. And so it goes. Anyway, the bird and I have been roommates through three homes and 28 years, and while he is in his prime at 33, I am now an elderly retiree. After living with one human and no other hookbills for most of his life, he's not likely to adjust well to a multiple parrot/family situation. And older cockatoos, especially big loud destructive ones that were not hand raised babies, are not good housemates for most people. Does anyone know an actual well-run sanctuary for older cockatoos to go to when their human partner dies? Understand, I'm not expecting to kick the bucket any time soon, but life is uncertain, my younger relatives need to know what they are supposed to do with any pets who outlive me, and Max the cockatoo will be the one that's problematic.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I believe all non for profit organizations must be registered so I would think there should be some documentation that you can find on them if they are in fact a real non for profit.

Just double triple and quadruple check that they have been around for a while and that others in the know would recommend them- anyone can essentially become a non for profit and I have heard of so many non for profits being very shady and only still running because they have not yet been looked into regarding their funding, spending and facilities.

If you google "how to check a non for profit is legit" you should get some hits for sites with information for your country.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was curious, so I just went to the site to read. It is a hard decision because while I understand her reasoning for keeping her sanctuary and birds safe, I would certainly want to see where my bird would be kept once given up. So, while it seems legitimate, I would have to pass if I couldn't see where my bird would be going. I wouldn't expect to see pictures or videos of introductions, but I would need to know they had a good chance of being safe and happy there.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've searched for info on that rescue more than once, and always come up with next to nothing.
It may be heaven on earth, or it may not.
I've seen others ask your question, and seen no answers.
I've not seen or heard anyone yet who has any concrete knowledge.
A satellite search does show 39 acres with small buildings which could be the aviaries.
It supposedly was started in 1998?
I also can find almost no reviews, the ones I had found have all been removed from the web.

Hope someone here on AA has some first hand knowledge for you.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Cockatoo rescue org. has been around for many years and is well known in the avian world. Thumbs up from me.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I did a deep dive on this rescue in 2014, and found some things that were a bit odd. Since then I've checked in every other year or so. For whatever it is worth, their website has contained essentially the same information, with almost no updates, for the past 7 years. In fact, when they migrated to a new provider a few years ago -- their previous site was owned by a woman who lived in Florida -- they lost some of the info from the old site. To my rather outdated knowledge they haven't updated any pictures since the original site was built. There is (was?) a very ancient unconnected website/blog by the founder that told the story of how they bought their current location due to outgrowing their suburban backyard and the neighbors lodging so many noise complaints. All that happened nearly 20 years ago.

I believe this place actually exists in some form. I was able to find an address and Google Earth showed that there were multiple enclosures covered in white plastic. However, at that level, the cleanliness of the enclosures is impossible to tell. We all know how much work it can be to clean even one cage. It is hard to imagine a rescue of that size being adequately managed by a single individual without the help of an army of volunteers. Especially if that person started the rescue 20 years ago and would likely be close to retirement age by now.

Apart from all of this, I would not be comfortable placing an animal with anyone who would not allow me to see where they would be living. That alone is a huge red flag to me.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Also look at better business Bureau as they do list some non profits

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have no comments on Cockatoo Rescue, but I can recommend a sanctuary where I volunteered for 18 months.
My vet Dr. Driggers is president of the board of directors and the sanctuary is run correctly. One of the most important things you want to know about any rescue or sanctuary is are they well funded. Their financial statements and tax returns are right on their site. They are well funded.

Here is their web site. It is very informative. Homepage

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi,

There is a shady one down near Seattle where they let the birds live in the woods, but I don't know the name of that one. Mollywood in Everson, WA, is run by a very dedicated woman with a good reputation. I take my zon there for help with toenails, and she really works hard for those birds. Not sure if she is accepting birds, though. A few years back she wasn't.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Hey Momazon how are you, hope you had a merry Christmas
:)

Coop

Meeting neighbors
I've searched for info on that rescue more than once, and always come up with next to nothing.
It may be heaven on earth, or it may not.
I've seen others ask your question, and seen no answers.
I've not seen or heard anyone yet who has any concrete knowledge.
A satellite search does show 39 acres with small buildings which could be the aviaries.
It supposedly was started in 1998?
I also can find almost no reviews, the ones I had found have all been removed from the web.

Hope someone here on AA has some first hand knowledge for you.
Thanks for the info about the satellite photos; I'm not that good with computers. From the pictures posted on the site, it should be pretty plain if there are in fact a lot of these chain-link type free flight aviaries on the property. The other thing that just bothered me a little bit is that they apparently do breed dogs for profit.

Coop

Meeting neighbors
I have no comments on Cockatoo Rescue, but I can recommend a sanctuary where I volunteered for 18 months.
My vet Dr. Driggers is president of the board of directors and the sanctuary is run correctly. One of the most important things you want to know about any rescue or sanctuary is are they well funded. Their financial statements and tax returns are right on their site. They are well funded.

Thank you very much. This looks more promising, maybe the sort of place that could give my cockatoo a home if he came with a bequest to help pay for his care. I could be wrong, but I don't think after decades of living with me he would adjust easily to a different "family" situation; and I am especially concerned about him ending up being passed/sold repeatedly because he is not a hand tame, hand raised bird. Even the hand raised cockatoos go down that spiral too often because of the tremendous noise they are capable of. I've always lived in a house in a rural area, not an apartment or close neighborhood, and Max can be heard to the road when he is in the mood.

Coop

Meeting neighbors

Thank you, this looks like a much more open and trustworthy place!

Coop

Meeting neighbors
I'm not sure if I managed to thank all the people who offered help and information individually, so I wanted to make sure I did that here! This is much appreciated, and the information on the Oasis rescue site looks very promising. I plan to contact them and ask if they will take Max when the time comes, and if they can, I will make sure there is some money going with him to help offset the costs of his care. It looks like a much more open and reliable organization. On the other place, I can tell you that it is still set up to take donations, because I've given a little bit now and then, but never heard so much as an acknowledgement that they received the money. I, also, noticed that the website is never updated, and that was another concern. But, if it was my website, I don't know that I would have figured out how to do much updating! It is listed as a nonprofit with the state, but that doesn't prove anything in itself. So I am very glad to get information on a more open and well-reputed organization. Thank you all!

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hey Momazon how are you, hope you had a merry Christmas
:)
Hey Terry! It was quiet and cold lol. Hope yours was good! How is you little zoo coming along?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Hey Terry! It was quiet and cold lol. Hope yours was good! How is you little zoo coming along?
Dobby is chasing Sandy every where and chewing everything he can get his beak on:laugh: Pippen is a tiny hyperactive ball of feathers that loves to nibble and occasionally allow head scritches. She's trying to say pretty bird back to me and uses every inch of the big flight cage I got cheap. The fosters Kiwi and Puff are settling in. Kiwi is pretty outgoing and easy going and loves treats. Puff hides in his happy hut but comes out and wiggles at us and screams. He's slowly getting better and almost took a treat from Sandy a few days ago. Christmas was as good as it could get considering everything that happened this year...

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I agree, it's been tough, but we are still here and you sound like more birds is better for you! We sure miss The Dob and are glad he and Sandy have found each other. I was just sure he would bond to you based on his behavior with my older foster son. Are Kiwi and Puff the conures? Pppen sounds adorable!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Kiwi is a Blue Crowned Conure, Puff is a Jenday Conure. I have some threads and pictures of all of them. Pippen loved me at first for rescuing her but once she felt better and got rested up she became nippy so have to be careful with her. Kiwi will come out and sit on her door and likes to make chicken noises and clicks. She seems pretty gentle but will bluff trying to bite. Puff is a mess but seems to be getting a little better with time.
Check out the threads on all of them. I like them but too many birds right now so hopefully somebody worthy takes them some time that has the time and patience to love them forever.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat

I just signed up to keep getting info...

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Have you questioned the area Vets to see if they know? Other pet owners/ pet stores?