• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about Charlies first days home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelelynne

Walking the driveway
Hi again..........Charlie will be coming home in about a week and a half and I am getting so excited, but also very nervous. I want to make sure I do everything right. I've been reading everything I can find but I cant find anything that gives suggestions on what to do/what not to do with her the first few days at home. Do I leave her alone and let her adjust? Do I try to handle her? Do I keep her in a quiet room or out in the living room where her cage will be? We have dogs do I keep them out of the room she is in or let them in there ( I know I have to be especially careful with them around her). How do I get her out of her travel cage without traumatizing her and getting myself bitten? So many questions......any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Here is a picture of my gorgeous baby, at least I think she is! Couldnt pick just one so here is two, lol

DSC_0495 (1).jpg DSC_0508 (1).jpg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Always start out how you would like things to be in the future. That means routine, how much attention you give, environment, etc. Do not spoil them at first only to take that attention away down the road. Give the same amount of attention that you will be able to consistently provide for years to come. By starting this way you will not need to make "changes" once the newness/excitement wears off.

Do not force any kind of behavior. Your job is to "earn" her trust by having the right energy and proper body language so that in "time" she "wants" to interact with you.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/train...unicating-your-highly-intelligent-parrot.html

Last edited:

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
What a beautiful baby.

I think John hit the nail right on the head, your first intinct is going to be loving and hugging your new baby and I would follow John's info. Only you know how much time each day you are going to be able to say realistically, it is birdy time. Once you are comfortable with your baby get a tree stand for h/her with lots of safe toys and teach h/her to be independent. Creating a needy bird, by overhandling them, can soon open a Pandora's Box with possible screaming and plucking issues.

Is this your first avain companion?

And did I say what a beautiful baby you have?:D

I forgot, you can open the carrier door at the level of the cage door and let h/her crossover into h/her cage. Better not to overwhelm the little one right off the bat. Let h/her observe things and become familiar by watching what goes on with everyone else.

Don't know if you know this or not you don't want your avian companion interacting with your dogs, just getting dog saliva on your ac can cause some major health issues. Don't let them play with each others toys.

Last edited:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Great advice--I would just add to make sure you bring home some of her hand-feeding formula, & give her a 'comfort-feed' whenever she seems distressed, & bring home some her food she's been weaned onto. You need to provide as many feelings of continuity as you can--even bring home her 'granny' (cuddle-toy) if she has one. I can imagine how excited & nervous you must feel--remember there are many who can help anytime on 'Macaw Motorway', too. Good luck!:)

Michelelynne

Walking the driveway
Always start out how you would like things to be in the future. That means routine, how much attention you give, environment, etc. Do not spoil them at first only to take that attention away down the road. Give the same amount of attention that you will be able to consistently provide for years to come. By starting this way you will not need to make "changes" once the newness/excitement wears off.

Do not force any kind of behavior. Your job is to "earn" her trust by having the right energy and proper body language so that in "time" she "wants" to interact with you.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/train...unicating-your-highly-intelligent-parrot.html

Thanks! I had read the advice about not spending more time now than I plan on spending with her everyday because she will demand it. I'm assuming that earning her trust will happen over time and she will let me know when she is ready to interact more with us........is this right? We have been traveling every weekend to visit with her and she will "step up" on my hand/arm most of the time but if the room gets too busy she gets really anxious and has bitten me once. I understand that though.........Will the time we have spent matter once we get her home? Will she remember us, we have been spending about two hours with her every Saturday or Sunday, I know its not much but she is two hours drive away (one way) and we just cant do it on weekdays.

Michelelynne

Walking the driveway
What a beautiful baby.

I think John hit the nail right on the head, your first intinct is going to be loving and hugging your new baby and I would follow John's info. Only you know how much time each day you are going to be able to say realistically, it is birdy time. Once you are comfortable with your baby get a tree stand for h/her with lots of safe toys and teach h/her to be independent. Creating a needy bird, by overhandling them, can soon open a Pandora's Box with possible screaming and plucking issues.

Is this your first avain companion?

And did I say what a beautiful baby you have?:D

I forgot, you can open the carrier door at the level of the cage door and let h/her crossover into h/her cage. Better not to overwhelm the little one right off the bat. Let h/her observe things and become familiar by watching what goes on with everyone else.

Don't know if you know this or not you don't want your avian companion interacting with your dogs, just getting dog saliva on your ac can cause some major health issues. Don't let them play with each others toys.
Thanks! I totally agree that she/he is absolutely beautiful!

I did know about the dog saliva thing, I read it and the place we bought her from warned us too, I will be very sure to not let them play with each others toys! I also know that I need to be sure to watch them when she is out at the same time, I dont plan on them being in the house when she is out for a good time, I'll be scared to death that something will happen.

This is my first large bird, I have had a few smaller birds in the past, my husband has had some experience with larger birds but nothing as large as her. We actually went to look at a Hahns Macaw the day we picked her out, but she seemed to pick us out. She kept flirting with us and was so funny and persistent about it that of course we were soon totally in love with her, the poor Hahns was left behind, lol.

Michelelynne

Walking the driveway
Great advice--I would just add to make sure you bring home some of her hand-feeding formula, & give her a 'comfort-feed' whenever she seems distressed, & bring home some her food she's been weaned onto. You need to provide as many feelings of continuity as you can--even bring home her 'granny' (cuddle-toy) if she has one. I can imagine how excited & nervous you must feel--remember there are many who can help anytime on 'Macaw Motorway', too. Good luck!:)
Thanks for the advice. She is weaned from the handfeeding and will have been for a little over two weeks when she comes to us, should I still worry about bringing some home? I have no idea how to hand feed, will I hurt her if I do something wrong? The breeder is very adamant that all her birds be weaned for at least two weeks and doing well eating on their own before they leave her, which made sense to me. I am so excited, and so nervous at the same time. I want to do the right things so she is a well adjusted bird that likes people. I read so much about "socializing" your bird, which makes sense, but when do I start that? Do I just watch her and let her give me clues as to when she is comfortable with us to start that? Here I go again with the questions, lol

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
That first picture is so adorable! :faint:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'll just echo some of what's been said -

When you get her home, just open the carrier door and let her come out on her own. Do not stick your hand in there. It may scare her and you may get bit! Even if it takes hours, let her come out on her own. However, from what I've read, most babies come out right away, happy and curious.

Don't give too much attention to her at the beginning, only what you can keep up for years to come. IT's really hard to leave the new baby alone, but it is important! sometimes too much attention at the beginning can cause undesirable behavior traits when the attention given lessens.

And I'd put her out in her cage in the living room. That will help her get used to you all, the noise, her new cage, etc.

Good luck!!! Such an exciting time!

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is this baby macaw being abundanced weaned or feedings taken away to wean her? I definitely suggest having handfeeding formula that the breeder uses on hand. You can spoon feed her the food.:)

Michelelynne

Walking the driveway
I'll just echo some of what's been said -

When you get her home, just open the carrier door and let her come out on her own. Do not stick your hand in there. It may scare her and you may get bit! Even if it takes hours, let her come out on her own. However, from what I've read, most babies come out right away, happy and curious.

Don't give too much attention to her at the beginning, only what you can keep up for years to come. IT's really hard to leave the new baby alone, but it is important! sometimes too much attention at the beginning can cause undesirable behavior traits when the attention given lessens.

And I'd put her out in her cage in the living room. That will help her get used to you all, the noise, her new cage, etc.

Good luck!!! Such an exciting time!
Thank you..........It is an exciting time.....I'm counting the days, lol

Michelelynne

Walking the driveway
Is this baby macaw being abundanced weaned or feedings taken away to wean her? I definitely suggest having handfeeding formula that the breeder uses on hand. You can spoon feed her the food.:)
To be honest I dont know what being "abundanced" weaned means. They are letting her decide when she wants to wean, last weekend when we were there they said that she was refusing handfeedings all day, the only one that she would show any interest in was an evening one and she was only taking a small portion of that, so they said that they felt she would prob be done with that one within the next few days........then they were giving her around 10 days with no hand feedings at all to make sure she was eating enough on her own to keep her weight up. We are not rushing them, let her do it at her own pace.........we are really hoping that we can bring her home on the 8th but if she isnt ready then shes not ready............whatever is best for her!

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
OMG The first photo made my heart melt :cloud9:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
18 weeks? Your baby very well could be weaning on her own :) But just on the incase its good to have formula, plain oatmeal and sweet potatoe on hand. To comfort feed just incase :) :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.