• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about Cassava/Tapioca Flour

Swiftswagger

Moving in
Real Name
Lauren
I have searched around and I am not getting a clear answer on this so I am hoping someone knows on here.
We make homemade little Tapioca pearls, just Tapioca flour and water, kneaded into little balls for tea drinks. We were thinking of giving some of the cooked pearls to our parrot in some mashed fruits/veggies as something interested and so she feels included when we have our drinks.
I am just getting conflicting information, is this toxic for parrots? Half what I read says it is or might be, half I read says it isn't.
She is a Red Chattering Lorikeet if that helps nail down if this is toxic to her or not.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have searched around and I am not getting a clear answer on this so I am hoping someone knows on here.
We make homemade little Tapioca pearls, just Tapioca flour and water, kneaded into little balls for tea drinks. We were thinking of giving some of the cooked pearls to our parrot in some mashed fruits/veggies as something interested and so she feels included when we have our drinks.
I am just getting conflicting information, is this toxic for parrots? Half what I read says it is or might be, half I read says it isn't.
She is a Red Chattering Lorikeet if that helps nail down if this is toxic to her or not.
I believe I read somewhere that the bubbles in bubble tea are bad for parrots. I can't remember where. I'm going to tag a few of our resident foodies & maybe someone will know.

@Mizzely , @Love My Zons , @Nikomania , @Danita
Guys, I wasn't sure who may know the answer or who to tag, hopefully someone else has tripped on this looking up tea.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't have an idea off the top of my head, I will try to remember to look it up tomorrow. But, anytime there is conflicting information, it is generally considered wise to avoid

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I don't know about this for birds, but this ingredient is used in the Beyond Purina dry cat food and their Beyond cat treats.

Reading further into this added ingredient, it is used instead of wheat, added as a source of fiber.

Reading about it, it is consumed world wide, as processed to be a starch as it is it is used as a flour for a gluten free alternative. (Rob's Red Mill)

Derived from Yucca which is a root. Should not be eaten raw. If used as a flour, this is something if you are uncertain, make them out of another form such as spelt flour, or coconut flour instead.

Last edited: