• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about caiques and other birds

Jeezy85

Moving in
Hi All,

hope you are all well.

I have a sun conure and a WBC and a BHC. I have had them since they were 4 months old and now are around 8months old.

You can call me crazy but I do have all 3 of them in one big cage. They are very well bonded yes they have their moments where they argue but they all snuggle Up together when going sleep etc.

obviously I have read the bad about caiques especially when they turn 2.

would it be wise to separate the sun conure to keep him safe?

in regards to the 2 caiques should I keep them together or separate them too? One of male and one is female but I really do not want them to breed.

I would appreciate your advice please.

thanks
A370386B-6A65-4010-B7E9-97750C064910.jpeg

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I'm not an expert but my advice and the general consensus is to keep separate species in separate cages, even if they get along outside the cage. I would even recommend keeping the two caiques in different cages (it's 100% fine for them to interact supervised) during the teenage phase because they can seriously injure each other if they really want to. Your caiques are different species and hybrids, in general, aren't usually a great idea as they come with health issues (although I don't know much about hybrid caiques specifically). Good call on not wanting to breed them.

Your caiques are much heavier and stronger than your Sun and can really do damage too if they decide to and during the teenage phase there's no telling.

But yeah, like I said I'm far from an expert so take my advice with a grain of salt, older members of the avenue will know better.
Your caiques are both beautiful! (and the Sun too I guess but I'm biased :rolleyes: )

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@saroj12 keeps a pair of caiques with other species of birds however havent seen her on the forum for a while.
@Irishj9 and @Laurie both have a lot of caiques so may have some advice.
Personally i would have the sun in another cage.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Caiques can be turds to other birds, I probably wouldn’t trust them with that Sun.

It only takes half a second and a bird can end up dead from a fight. The fact that the caiques are m/f means eventually someone’s going to get hormonal and territorial and the bird they lash out on is almost certainly not going to be the species the hormonal one wants to mate with.

As far as mating? They’re going to have sex if they want. You can’t stop that, and that’s fine. What you want to do is be responsible for any eggs laid. Search the forum for tips on egg laying females. Lots of advice.

@saroj12 Is in a PhD program, last I heard? Wicked time constraints. And you’re tired and your brain has melted by the end of your day. I’m sure she’ll come back to us when she had news to share or isn’t so tired!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The issue is doing to be when hormones come into play. Two is company, three is a crowd, as the saying goes. Your third wheel could get injured.

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
I agree with @Irishj9 . Get the Sun Conure his/her own apartment. My Mango wanted to kill a random Beetle popping on the ceiling. I would most definitely separate the Sun Conure. Dont wait until they are 2, do it now. If you dont want babies, separate the male & female but they can mate on the stand if they want to. Happens pretty quick, there is no romance warning or date night lol. I have seen too many egg bound x-rays to ever have a female but thats my preference. I would ask a breeder what you can do to avoid mating season love. I might be late in my reply but your babies are beautiful.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
The issue is doing to be when hormones come into play. Two is company, three is a crowd, as the saying goes. Your third wheel could get injured.
This for sure.

Caiques can kill each other, let alone a conure. I recommend putting the two caiques together so they can play, be buddies and burn off some energy. If they all get along outside the cage then they should be fine with supervision. What works today may not work tomorrow so you always have to watch and reassess as needed. I would not recommend that you introduce caiques to conures but if introduction are already made and all is well then just be careful and keep an eye on them. Especially, watch your male caique because he may decide he does not want the competition of the conure as he grows up.

I have had two different sets of 4 caiques that were introduced as chicks and all caged together for awhile. Once they decide to pair up then you have to separate them. The first set it happened at about 18 months. In the second set the boys are almost 2 and the girls are 3. I can see they will need to be separated soon. Nothing violent yet but tensions are rising. I am just waiting on a new house (cage) for one pair. I have an extra cage for an emergency but I am holding out for the permanent one if I can. It's actually the girls that are testy but they are older, definitely breeding age. Or at least pairing off age.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Hah. I have 12 caiques and 9 big cages. Reminder to self, buy more cages.

The constant shifting of moods and alliances requires them

That and exercise. Let them fly about a while and the whole avairy will take a deep breath and settle down

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hah. I have 12 caiques and 9 big cages. Reminder to self, buy more cages.

The constant shifting of moods and alliances requires them

That and exercise. Let them fly about a while and the whole avairy will take a deep breath and settle down
Like 15 or 16 cages so they all have choices. LOL!