• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about baby Timneh

JaiLynnie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jessica
Hi. I am getting a Timneh baby. He will be ready at the end of September. I am seeking advice on how to handle him as the breeder is not letting him fledge. Is there anything I can do, like maybe put pillows in the bottom of his cage covered with towels? Has anyone else had a non-fledged baby? I read that because African are heavy bodied, falls can be serious. And he won't be as coordinated and will be more clumsy.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Timnehs are lighter than Congos. My Edgar was fledged when I got him but he never was clumsy. Akira my CAG is fledged too but she was clumsy at the beginning.
I cannot offer any advice because I'm not experienced with not fledged baby but maybe this will give you some peace.
And Edgar didn't have much opportunities to fly before he came to me.

JaiLynnie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jessica
Timnehs are lighter than Congos. My Edgar was fledged when I got him but he never was clumsy. Akira my CAG is fledged too but she was clumsy at the beginning.
I cannot offer any advice because I'm not experienced with not fledged baby but maybe this will give you some peace.
And Edgar didn't have much opportunities to fly before he came to me.
Thanks. I want to make sure I do whatever I can to keep him safe. I'm going to let him fly, once he gets his flight feathers back, but that won't be right away. I hadn't considered that since TAGs are smaller it may not be as bad as a CAG. I've never had any AG before so it'll be new. I'm so very excited. I love the name Akira :)