• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about Ataxia in parrots

Ashbird9

Moving in
Real Name
Brandon
Hello I'm new to this site and I figured I'd ask this question because I just bought a second cockatiel from a pet store where I live and she was on sale for a good while and so I decided to buy her for my young male bird. And I'm pretty sure she is a she due to some of her traits but I could be wrong anyways question is can a bird with ataxia do their one-legged stretches with their wings? Because I've noticed that she has a hard time climbing and she kind of has problems figuring out how to walk on perches. I have a y perch on the side of the cage that's a small Branch type and she landed on it and she couldn't figure out where to put her right foot and then just fell down to the cage floor. And last night she was flapping around in a cage I'm not sure if she fell off her perch or she just had a Night Fright and I decided to uncover her and it happened one more time before the day light came in. So I'm concerned that I bought a sick bird... and I really don't want to spend $100 just to take her to the vet and however much more to get her tested to find out.. She kind of has like a weird wobble when shes on the cage floor but that could be just because the gap between the floor of the cage but I'm not sure. She doesn't seem to have her feet spread apart or hold on to anything when on.the perches and during the day she seems fine other the fact that she's kind of having weird time climbing and jumping on purchase. Also her breathing seems to be fine but like I said she does her one legged poses and wings stretches whenever I walk in while perched I'm just scared she has ataxia but I'm not sure. Sorry for this long post but kind of need help.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you please post a video and/or photos? How long have you had her? How old is she? If you purchased a bird you feel is ill then you need to contact the pet store.
If you are planning on keeping her and are concerned about the issues you are seeing then taking her to the vet is what you want to do. It's always good, btw, to take a bird to vet for new bird check up and also to make sure you quarantine any new bird from the other birds you already have for at least 30-45 days.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ataxia in birds is a symptom of spinal cord damage. She could have had night frights in the pet store and injured herself. If you want to help this bird your best bet it to take her to an avian vet for examination.

Ashbird9

Moving in
Real Name
Brandon
I think my male is about 6months old and as for the other one I'm not entirely sure but id have to say about 4months is my guess but I did something that is advised not to do because of an issue with a small cage I had, she fell forward off her perch trying to grab the cage to climb on and she got her wing stuck in the bars because they were small.. Finch cage... So i didnt know what to do so i put her in the cage with my male and now they preen each other and rub their heads together like they are snuggling and its only been 48hours together. I'm well aware of those risks but now im worried my other bird will catch what ever she may or may not have. I feel i cant remove her by taking her back because I feel like it would be snatching their little hearts out.

Ashbird9

Moving in
Real Name
Brandon
Is it possible shes just clumsy and learning how to walk on perches and climb?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We recommend to quarantine any new bird for at least 30 days to watch out for signs of health problems. It sound like you did not do this. So yes, no quarantine puts you resident birds at risk. Too late to worry about that now. Are you going to take this new bird for a medical exam?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you ever had your first cockatiel examined by a vet? I would recommend bringing both birds to the vet for check-ups.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you don't want to spend money on vet care, why did you buy a bird? That's like saying "well I had a kid but I really don't feel like paying for the pediatrician."