• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quartz and Eggs

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations :)

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Weaning plans... I intend to introduce chopped kale, pellets(crumbles) and parakeet seed. Millet I know is usual par for course but I want to keep these babies on a good healthy mix. What adjustments should I make?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Weaning plans... I intend to introduce chopped kale, pellets(crumbles) and parakeet seed. Millet I know is usual par for course but I want to keep these babies on a good healthy mix. What adjustments should I make?
Instead of just Kale, offer a mix of veggie with kale. Give options and variety and observe :)

I´m not sure what parakeet mix is...
I make my own mix for my birds:
1 kilo budgie/lovebird mix (it´s quite millet based with other seeds mixed in; safflower, flax, oats etc but no sunflower).
2 kilo of canary grass seed,
3-4 cups of buckwheat and
200g+- hemp seed.... I think that is all...

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
So today was something new. I brought the nest box out of the cage, hid any round objects, and bribed Quartz to spend time with me with some seed. She was happy to yell in my ears and actually demanded I bring the babies out for family time. (Her demands are exclusive to a look and a certain scream.) But she went back to the cage at the 5 minute mark and everyone went to bed...

Now I don't recommend this exercise with a bird you aren't very bonded to. I've raised Quartz since hatching day. It was not easy and our bond suffered some the last few months. I have to gauge each interaction with caution as she can deliver a bite to my eye with little warning.

Under no circumstances will I offer her millet out of the cage. She bit me bloody in November trying to get it. o_O I am constantly working a balance of play and tolerance training with my birds. Starting the babies this early will help them grow accustomed to voice and tone sooner. Amore and Royal are already showing signs of sensing me when I talk to them. I have plans to get family and friends involved soon too.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Why would you remove her nest box?

Starting the babies this early will help them grow accustomed to voice and tone sooner. Amore and Royal are already showing signs of sensing me when I talk to them
Just having the birdcage and nestbox in the same room as you will get them used to your voice as they will hear you talking. Your chicks are 7 days old, they should be left alone with their mum to grow stress-free. A 20 second check-in in the morning and night is enough. If you are pulling the chicks for hand-feeding, they should still be fed by their parents until at least 3 weeks old (21days). There is no reason to pull them sooner if things are going well and the parents are tending to the little ones.

I have plans to get family and friends involved soon too.
When is soon? The are too young to be passed around right now. Wait until they are feathered at least (4-5 weeks old)

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I apologize. I've got a time line schedule for the babies that doesn't remove the babies ay all until weaning. My mama bird on the other hand has been attacking me when I need to clean things such as paper changing, wiping off perches, or the nest box, and changing food and water. So i remove that to get inside. While she is occupied away from the cage I can clean it. I do flip the top open to check on the babies in the morning and check weight.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My hen won´t allow cage cleaning either, so she gets her cage quickly wiped out while out stretching her wings. I never move the nest box. Try enticing her out of her cage with millet sprigs to a playstand or other area, put a whole sprig out or a half if it´s a big one, and while she is shredding it, you should have a few minutes to quickly wipe the cage. If you miss a couple of days then it is what it is. I struggle some days, so I settle with just cleaning the drop tray and wiping the cage sides from the outside but can´t clean the cage floor.

schedule for the babies that doesn't remove the babies ay all until weaning
So you are going to allow the parents to raise the little ones? That´s nice. I hope all is going smoothly.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Dad is looking in, got mom with clear shot of both babies. Family photo!

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I have begun hand feeding in part due to a separation of the parents. Quartz decided it was breeding season.... I'm just gonna have to say no to her. The babies had full crops probably from their daddy birb, but with Quartz mostly keeping them warm, I figured it was best to hand feed and leaving them with her. I let mama birb try the formula since she was reared on the same stuff. Bleh. I had hoped to avoid this.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Update on babies.... Second baby Royal, is a boy based on who his dad is, my guess is genetics and personality. Royal is as sensitiveas his dad.. As for Amore. I am thinking boy as well, but holding back on that though. Granny Haha and Auntie Sky were both cinnamon and pallid females respectively. Though Pappy Night had some yellow in him. Its a hard ball line at this moment.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
20200316_104438.jpg

The adorbs to make a day go better.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So cute! :lol: @ the millet munching squinty eye! Love it when chicks do that, so sweet! :swoon: