• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quarantining the right way?

Pebi

Moving in
I recently purchased a second budgie and I'd love to get some feedback on how I plan to quarantine him.

I have 1 other budgie -- Tweety. We took her to the vet yesterday for a checkup, and she has a clean bill of health

We picked up the new budgie last night and we plan to quarantine him in a separate room for 30 days. He's scheduled to go to the vet on Saturday for a checkup. Regardless of what the test results say, we'll keep them separated until after the 30 days are up.

Our plan is to:

- Take the new bird to the vet on Saturday for a wellness check

- Monitor the new bird for any signs of illness

- Keep each bird in separate rooms for 30 days with the door closed at all times

- Periodically open up the windows to let fresh air in and circulate (we'll keep them away from drafts and cold air)

- Vacuum the carpet daily

- Wash our hands before and after interacting with each bird

- Change Tweety's food/water/cage liner first before we change those things for the new budgie

- Lightly mist the cage liner with water when changing to prevent airborne particles from spreading

I want to make sure we're doing everything we can to keep Tweety from getting sick.

Is there anything I'm overlooking or missing?

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
:bump4:

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
Buy an air purifier.
Do 6-8 weeks.
You need a station between buggies, change clothes etc. I use 2 "plastik doors" that are airtight, with space between.
Have positive pressure in the room that you want to "protect".

I am towards the end of quarantining one of my birds.

this is how i have done and its a watertight method.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Changing your top if you have had the new bird out of their cage and standing on you is a good idea.

Welcome to the Avenue! It sounds like you´ve done a lot of research and thinking to prepare for your new feathered companion :)

1.welcome signs.gif

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What you have planned sounds like about the best we can do in a home environment. I know someone who had 13 birds and always had a non-bird home away from her do the quarantines for new birds. That is the perfect way.

As Zara said you should change your top or leave one in the new bird's room that you can put on over your regular top when you go in the room and take it out when you leave.

Pebi

Moving in
Buy an air purifier.
Do 6-8 weeks.
You need a station between buggies, change clothes etc. I use 2 "plastik doors" that are airtight, with space between.
Have positive pressure in the room that you want to "protect".

I am towards the end of quarantining one of my birds.

this is how i have done and its a watertight method.
Thank you @Azor! Which types of air purifiers are safe around birds? Any brands that you can recommend?

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
Thank you @Azor! Which types of air purifiers are safe around birds? Any brands that you can recommend?
Depending or where u live there are different models. I'm going to buy The European version of this Amazon.com: Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter: Home & Kitchen

"Winix zero". Took me a lot of research!!