• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quarantining questions

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
So... My budgie is really good at finding his reflection. My phone, the window, my glasses, a certain hanger in the closet, and now the latch on his cage.
He needs a friend.
I've decided to get a young bird, who is already tame. I currently don't have the time to tame a bird, or get one on a healthy diet. So I'll be getting this bird eating pellets and veggies, and through that Kaladin will hopefully start eating pellets more consistently. (If I can in the future, I will have room for 2-4 other birds (depending on my parents), and I will rescue, either from the local parrot rescue or get them from Craigslist).
So.
I'm going to be getting one of those 18x18x30 inch flight cages for quarantine. (Plus, I can also use it if I need to go on a trip and leave the birds somewhere). I have several options on where to put it. I can use the room where I currently keep Kaladin at night and put Kaladin in my closet at night instead, I could potentially use my brother's room, but the bird would then only get about 10 hours of sleep. We also have a neighbor who has had birds in the past who would almost definitely be willing to house the bird, and let me stop by for a few hours every day. I would prefer for them to stay in my house, but I don't know how well that will work in the long run.
And how long? One month? Two months? I've heard a mix of the two.
And should I change and shower between interactions with birds, or would just washing my hands and potentially changing clothes be sufficient?
And male or female? I love the personalities and sounds of males, but I also would like more experience with a female, and a male and a female would be more likely to get along. I'm also willing to deal with hormones. This isn't super important. If it comes down to it, I'll just pick the healthiest looking bird with my favorite coloring. What are your opinions?
AND Kaladin only will be on his medication for another week.
Thanks!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
When quarantining Winston and Emelia I only washed hands, but that was because I never had any of them climbing on me (no ones tame enough).
Females can be bossy and bite hard, but they also have all sorts of personalities and can be great fun.
@Ripshod
@Lori D Pert

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
A 6 week quarantine is generally sufficient. Now if your little guy is currently on medication I would finish that and get an all clear from the vet before I would even get another bird and then begin the quarantine. If you have another house for the new one to stay at, all the better but a separate room will suffice. Washing hands between visiting each bird is good. After quarantine you can introduce them into the same room but still in separate cages. If you have a boy then either sex of a new bird will be ok.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
A 6 week quarantine is generally sufficient. Now if your little guy is currently on medication I would finish that and get an all clear from the vet before I would even get another bird and then begin the quarantine. If you have another house for the new one to stay at, all the better but a separate room will suffice. Washing hands between visiting each bird is good. After quarantine you can introduce them into the same room but still in separate cages. If you have a boy then either sex of a new bird will be ok.
Thanks for the info!
This is still a little ways out, so I'll have plenty of time to make sure Kaladin is okay. (I have to finish driver's ed before my parents will let me get another bird).
I'll have to talk to my parents about the quarantine and see what works best for them.