• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quarantine in a small house/ apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
We are going to be bringing home a new conure in a month, and I am just wondering if anyone has any tips or experience with quarantining in a small area, like a 1 bedroom apartment or something?
We live in a house that does not have central air, and the only space we can really use is the downstairs, which is basically a bedroom and a living room space. I am planning on having our current birds cage in the living room during quarantine and the new bird in our room (there is only one door between the two rooms). We will wash our hands and face before and after interacting with the new bird, but aside from that and not sharing toys or dishes, I am not sure what else we can do. We are unable to quarantine the bird at someone else's house, as we have moved recently and do not have anyone that we trust or that would be willing to do this.
I realise that this is nowhere near a 'proper' quarantine, but I am just wondering if it will suffice, or if there is anything else that I should do.

The only other option I can think of is to ask my partner's little sister if the new bird's cage can be in her room (which is upstairs) for a month. The only thing is that she is 8 and I don't know if I want to give her that responsibility.... though if I tell her the bird needs a certain amount of dark and sleep, perhaps it could give her an incentive to go to bed on time. Haha. Also, she would not be handling the bird at all, as she is scared of them...she will only interact with birds while they are in a cage...I wish I could get her over this fear, but we have had our GCC (who is really sweet) for over 5 months and she won't even be in the same room as him if he is out of the cage :confused:....but I digress. I am just wondering if any of this would be okay for a quarantine, and if anyone has any suggestions to make it safer.

Thanks!!!

Chicobo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
This is a great question! I've been wondering something similar, myself. I have no place to do a "proper" quarantine, heck, can't even keep the bedroom door sealed in a one-bedroom space.

Love to hear the answers!

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
My vet advised that since most diseases are transmitted via feces, the next best thing in a home environment is to make sure you wash hands and change your shirt, always finish what you're doing (feeding, handling, cleaning) with your existing bird before visiting the new one (never the other way around, and assuming that your bird has had recent negative results on disease testing), keep in a separate room with door closed and make sure that bowls are washed and sanitized separately and used cage papers are not carried near the existing bird to be disposed of. Use a neutral scoop for the food, don't scoop it up with the bird dishes or pour into them in a way that would contaminate all of the food. To keep feces from aerosolizing, spray down the papers with some water before you fold them up for disposal.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Obviously not fail-safe, but sounds like the best that can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.