• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quakers in the top 5 loudest

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Quakers can be prone to screaming. And a bored Quaker is often quick to let you know. Once a session gets going they can really keep it up for hours.. They are passed off to new homes for this.

I've certainly tackled this in ones I've taken in. If you have not count your blessings. Or if yours is under 2 , you may not have experienced the increased spring hormonal vocalizations yet. As always individuals vary as do people experience..

Partly this from their being a large flocking social species. And the behavioral, is because they are an active species, social and intelligent. They are often prone to plucking for the same reasons.

Was curious where they ranked in decibel level. Not surprising in the top 5 loudest parrots! With added note unlike some of the other loud species, they can and will keep it up for hours.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I believe it! When Pudge and Burt start calling to each other, I can hear them from well outside the house. They’ll just shriek at each other nonstop when they’re not out - nighttime is my only reprieve :roflmao:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't realize they ranked so high. It explains the resident quaker at a local pet store around here. He had to find a new home, because neighbours were complaining about the noise. Odd though, he never yells at anyone in the store, but he does try to lure them back to the bird section.

ems08

Walking the driveway
Riley flock calls for me if I leave at a time when he expects me to be there. Like if he's in the living room for the evening, I'm not allowed to leave. It's preferrable to him that I be on my "perch" (aka the couch) but he won't settle at all if I'm out of sight. The rest of the time he may call for a few minutes, but if I don't reappear he quiets down. It drives my mom nuts though!

There are times-- specifically when he's in the craft room where he spends two-ish hours watching cartoons every afternoon-- that he actually seems mad if you don't leave him alone.

The loudest thing he does is actually his "alarm" sound which is a kind of a medium to low pitched growl that started to mimic the drill, the blender, the vacuum-- anything noisy. He now does it if he sees a delivery driver or spies a hawk outside a window. Also possibly a time or two when a squirrel ran by? I'll try to get a video of it sometime!

Honestly though, the thing that article doesn't take into account is pitch. Riley has a much lower voice than my lovebird Maddie did and I found her flock calls and screeching much less tolerable than Riley's loud calls.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol, I see the difference in decibels between macaw, cocky and budgie and I honestly have no issue with the decibels it is the tone/pitch and frequency of noise making that is a problem for me.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I heard a lovebird screeching once , it was very piercing.

Budgies i really like their sounds

But after experiencing hours of quaker screeching.. can drive you mad

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I should probably be glad then that Cotton's the only 5am chatterbox!

Opie definitely has higher volume when he's on a little rant and gets Maynard barking along with him :)

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Lol, I see the difference in decibels between macaw, cocky and budgie and I honestly have no issue with the decibels it is the tone/pitch and frequency of noise making that is a problem for me.
This is exactly why I could never have a sun conure despite finding them to be amazing birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So, where I live there are flocks of quakers everywhere. They will also fly as flocks from 2 up to 30-40 down my street. Very noisy, not that I mind at all. It sounds different now since I moved up to the 6th floor, I see them fly below, before they would fly right past my balcony. On the beach down the road, they will be up in the trees screeching away for hours.
It is definitely not the same hearing a bird outdoors to indoors I would imagine a quaker screeching indoors is not a pretty sound.

I think if the article was ¨top 10 unbearable parrot sounds¨ , lovebirds would be right up at the top under nanday/jenday/suns.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
So, where I live there are flocks of quakers everywhere. They will also fly as flocks from 2 up to 30-40 down my street. Very noisy, not that I mind at all. It sounds different now since I moved up to the 6th floor, I see them fly below, before they would fly right past my balcony. On the beach down the road, they will be up in the trees screeching away for hours.
It is definitely not the same hearing a bird outdoors to indoors I would imagine a quaker screeching indoors is not a pretty sound.

I think if the article was ¨top 10 unbearable parrot sounds¨ , lovebirds would be right up at the top under nanday/jenday/suns.
So amazing ! So jealous!!
Feral flocks are loved but recieve a lot of noise complaints.

I was in Rockaway new York , and saw them in the snow!! But they were staying right by a small nest in power lines . About 4 pairs I think. I found it so amazing to see parrots in the snow.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I guess I'm very fortunate to have such a quiet Quaker as Ralph.

I remember being at a pet store to get some food for Ralph when two 5-month-old scarlet macaws decided to have a screaming contest. There were several other parrots of various kinds in the store-- a couple other macaws, some cockatoos, Quakers, a sun conure and an orange-winged Amazon, if I remember right. Once the two young macaws started screaming, everybody else joined in. In the confines of the small store, it was a little hard to take. The only time I've ever had to escape parrots vocalizing. :D

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I used to have 6 Quakers, But 1 died last year, Now down to 5 Quakers. Mine are pretty good, Mind you they do at certain times will scream

out, But for a reason, when they wake up, and or when I leave for work, I will tell them I'm going to work, see you later, just by telling them that, they seem to understand and will quiet down, they know when it's their times to come out for playtime and to be fed, I also have a Senegal, and she is the quietest 1 , At times yes my Quakers will scream out, but not for long, I guess when they do have their screaming fests, I am quite used to their noises
My youngest Quaker Squirt, when he's had enough, he will tell the others to "Be Quiet"

youngest

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
The Quaker I was looking to adopt was quiet the entire time...he was playing the long game I guess. Imagine a sun conure and Quaker duo. My headaches would love that.o_O

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

Budgies i really like their sounds

But after experiencing hours of quaker screeching.. can drive you mad
My lovebirds are loud they are very very piercing at times Especially mango

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

I would absolutely agree with you I swear mine have got louder can hear them in kitchen now and sometimes over tv downstairs when they really go for it

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Quakers can be prone to screaming. And a bored Quaker is often quick to let you know. Once a session gets going they can really keep it up for hours.. They are passed off to new homes for this.

I've certainly tackled this in ones I've taken in. If you have not count your blessings. Or if yours is under 2 , you may not have experienced the increased spring hormonal vocalizations yet. As always individuals vary as do people experience..

Partly this from their being a large flocking social species. And the behavioral, is because they are an active species, social and intelligent. They are often prone to plucking for the same reasons.

Was curious where they ranked in decibel level. Not surprising in the top 5 loudest parrots! With added note unlike some of the other loud species, they can and will keep it up for hours.
It's always the small ones that people underestimate!!!!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Having now experienced a cockatoo doing her best impression of a velociraptor who stubbed his toe, I still think quakers are louder.

When I had Burt and Pudge, they’d get each other going and my god. I thought my ears would bleed.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I got to experience a Nanday conure screech right in my ear yesterday. I do not recommend :roflmao:
They are loud! Well earned reputation of being very loud