• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quakers eating veggies- photo dump

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
My new velcro agent of chaos GCC, Sunny, eating my first attempt at chop.
IMG_20220803_082439.jpg IMG_20220803_082305.jpg
A big thanks to Pixiebeak for her encouragement and advice. One week ago Sunny was on an all-seed diet at the pet shop..... He loves his chop and also gobbles down ground-up pellets

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
My new velcro agent of chaos GCC, Sunny, eating my first attempt at chop.
View attachment 411295 View attachment 411296
A big thanks to Pixiebeak for her encouragement and advice. One week ago Sunny was on an all-seed diet at the pet shop..... He loves his chop and also gobbles down ground-up pellets
Well done!!!! Great job in getting Sunny started off healthy!
Look at that cute baby!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
this morning I gave mine a mix of a lot of stuff, some quinoa, soaked cooked black beans, herbs, mango, red bell pepper..lots of stuff

Cloudy demonstrates how yummy!
So much to choose from!
20220803_105830.jpg
20220803_105826.jpg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
More veggies love , just basic today as pretty sure they are going to choose the treat of fresh corn
Ta-dah had just had a bath
20220815_120015.jpg
Clouds chooses romaine
20220815_120148.jpg
Penny did choose corn first, but ate the snap peas and romaine as well
20220815_120224.jpg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Cloudy was enjoying his tomato so much, even dragged it off the plate. I've got my lentils and sweet potatoes cooked and later will mix in some herbs and other stuff and offer.
20220828_094321.jpg

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Bet a simple addition of “picture dump” will increase your traffic here! Let me know exactly what you want it to say and I’ll alter it for you ;)
Photo dump worked for me.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’ve tried offering veg to both my tiel and to the Quaker, and man oh man - You’d think I’d insulted their mother the way they react to it :roflmao:

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
With my first parrot, it took lots and lots of tries of different things - making basically a puree from veggies that coated his seeds worked to get him used to the taste. He does go for food processor blitzed bites of veggies before he'll eat bigger pieces. But now he has a few favorites! And it's so flipping cute seeing beak circle bites out of new things!

Another thing to try - I used a "treat" bowl for yummy walnuts on his cage when I first got him and now still do because he trusts that what I put in there is food - in his regular dish, not so much :) but anything I put in the treat bowl has at least a few bites before it's thrown on the ground ;)

So far my Quaker is a super champ and will try everything! How did I get so lucky?! (Really great friends with an eye for finding really great rehome ads, is how )

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I’ve tried offering veg to both my tiel and to the Quaker, and man oh man - You’d think I’d insulted their mother the way they react to it :roflmao:
It takes time and different ways an ideas of offering.

Things that helped mine. Offering in in chunks spread out on a shallow dish so each type wasn't touching. And offering out side of cage for them to explore on their own. But I would also mix it up and offer shredded veggies. Or I would steam a mince and mix with quinoa or a little cooked pasta preferably ehole west pasta or chicken pea or lentil pasta.

Another thing that helped. Kinda like mentioned above. I hand out treats by hand a lot. Then I hand a pea or single piece of corn or tiny apple fragments. Stuff in general well liked by parrots. I hand out pellets too. They have gotten used to me handing them food treats so are willing to try the new stuff. The more different textures or things they try the better and better they get at trying new stuff and foods. But only offer dont chase them with it if they aren't interested I just drop it on the plate for them to investigate on their own.

I would set them up on the breakfast bar with a plate if salad stuff and sit and eat my own salad with them. Any human food I make that is safe for them I offer . O offer while I'm chopping, I offer while I'm cooking.

I hang stuff with bird skewer at their head height.

Parrots love to find stuff and destroy by nature. Let them find big hunks of veggies to destroy. It does lead to eating.

Parrots can really love and enjoy veggies. They love being curious about foods. It's so enriching for them as well as healthy. But it can be something that needs to be taught that this stuff is food. Birds learn best by watching their flock. So that's you, start Grubbing on veggies, share, or pretend to keep it away. Keep trying !

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I find my preferred stuff in a size they can pick up with feet. Came back to check cauliflower definitely today's favorite.
20220929_083735.jpg 20220929_083730.jpg

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Adorable! Glad to see your birds are enjoying their veggies! :D

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Well do tell, what's in this batch???
Chop ingredients: Yellow and red peppers (capsicum), carrot, zucchini, red cabbage, broccoli, choy sum, cooked sprouted mung beans, quinoa, cooked brown rice, rolled (whole) oats, ground Roudybush pellets (only a small quantity), walnuts, oregano

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Chop ingredients: Yellow and red peppers (capsicum), carrot, zucchini, red cabbage, broccoli, choy sum, cooked sprouted mung beans, quinoa, cooked brown rice, rolled (whole) oats, ground Roudybush pellets (only a small quantity), walnuts, oregano
Fabulous! No wonder was a big hit!!