• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quakers building a thached roof?

Yonads

Sitting on the front steps
I have a pair of Quakers, a happy couple, M+F who mate but have not had any eggs yet.
They have their cage, and a nest box - which they go into - but never bring anything in there. In fact, whatever I put in (nest material such us small branches, palm fronds, etc) get taken out almost immediately.
I usually give them fresh palm fronds to play with in their cage (and also hope they will build a nest) but they just chew on them and destroy them.

Today, I added a new bunch of palm fronds and they started working right away at threading the leaves through the top of the cage, almost as if they are building a thatched roof.
All they can do is stick their beaks through so they can't get the layers higher, and I don't think they can build lower (hanging down), so it does not seem like they are building a nest.
So my question: What are they doing? Building a nice little roof on their cage? (They are indoors, not in the sun, in a very comfortable setting).

I'm so curious to know where they are going with this. Anybody see this before?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
The nests (wild population) I have seen are some serious architecture! I'm very curious about it too!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Very interesting!! I can't really help you, but if you can, I would love to see some pictures of this engineering masterpiece!

Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They are perhaps the only species of parrot that builds a nest and isn't a cavity nester (ie, finding a hole in a tree). It's usually a huge, multi room structure that the whole flock can live in.

640px-Myiopsitta_monachus_-nests-8.jpg

Your thatched roof sounds like that are starting their own nest :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's @CrazyBirdChick's Blu who constructs incredible structures - she's posted photos before of his weaving. If I remember correctly, it also triggers territoriality in him so watch out for your fingers!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think it's @CrazyBirdChick's Blu who constructs incredible structures - she's posted photos before of his weaving. If I remember correctly, it also triggers territoriality in him so watch out for your fingers!
I'd be territorial too if I put that much effort into something :lol:

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
My Quaker uses wooden skewers to weave in and out of the bars. He may spend the entire day weaving. And they are tight too. I have a wire platform his sleeping hut sits above. He does get more hormonal in the spring weaving.