• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker with a Alexandrine

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@painesgrey has a Quaker and IRN - she may be able to tell you about her experiences.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you mean in the same house, then it is possible, however if you mean in the same cage, it is not safe.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I agree with Matt that you absolutely shouldn't keep them in the same cage together. Quakers are notoriously territorial with their cages, and since Alexandrines are roughly twice a Quaker's size, you'd just be asking for trouble.

My Quaker is pretty mellow, so he and my female IRN (who is quite aggressive with other birds) tolerate one another to an extent, but avoid close contact. My Quaker is quite wary of her and rarely even engages in beak tussling, preferring to just get out of her way. Even his slight cage aggression doesn't make her confront her if she is in/on/near his cage.

That being said - each bird is different. My Quaker clearly respects my IRN's behaviors and gives her a wide berth, but another Quaker may not. The fact that my IRN and Quaker are roughly the same size works in my favor, too. You always have to be mindful of size differences and how they may impact relationships and potential fighting.

clunkybird

Moving in
I agree with Matt that you absolutely shouldn't keep them in the same cage together. Quakers are notoriously territorial with their cages, and since Alexandrines are roughly twice a Quaker's size, you'd just be asking for trouble.

My Quaker is pretty mellow, so he and my female IRN (who is quite aggressive with other birds) tolerate one another to an extent, but avoid close contact. My Quaker is quite wary of her and rarely even engages in beak tussling, preferring to just get out of her way. Even his slight cage aggression doesn't make her confront her if she is in/on/near his cage.

That being said - each bird is different. My Quaker clearly respects my IRN's behaviors and gives her a wide berth, but another Quaker may not. The fact that my IRN and Quaker are roughly the same size works in my favor, too. You always have to be mindful of size differences and how they may impact relationships and potential fighting.
How would the parrots do outside the cages and on the same tree stand?

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
How would the parrots do outside the cages and on the same tree stand?
That really depends on the birds. My Quaker and IRN will sometimes share the same java perch, but will stay on opposite sides to give each other space. If one moves too close, the other moves away or to another perching spot in the room.

Conversely, my Quaker and my Caique love one another and are happy to sit next to one another and preen/allopreen, and have no problems sharing the same perching space. This took months and months to build up to, however - my Quaker is quite wary and aloof, and my Caique persistent (as most Caiques are).

Your Quaker might not mind (or may even bond with) another bird in the house. An Alexandrine might not mind (or may even bond with) your Quaker. Or, they may hate one another, or be in a lopsided situation where one loves while the other hates/only tolerates.

It's next to impossible for us to be able to tell you if they would get along, we can only warn you of the problems that may arise if they don't. That's the risk we all take when we bring another bird into our homes. Introductions (after quarantine, of course) have to be made very slowly and with strict supervision.