• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Quaker w/ zinc poisoning - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

crismas

Moving in
Real Name
Cristina
Hi - My little Quaker Henri(etta) became suddenly and seriously ill on Christmas Eve. She is feeling much better today after a weekend of hospital care (incubator/ fluids/ O2/ chelation therapy). She also had an x-ray this morning which showed a fleck of metal the size of a grain of sand in her digestive tract (her vet believes it is zinc).

She is currently on chelation medication, but needs to pass the zinc particle. Does anyone have any suggestions for moving such a small particle (vet suggested bread & watery fruits)? I was reading that others have used peanut butter for larger pieces of metal - would this be suitable in this situation? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Cristina & Henri

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Feed her a blobs of peanut butter (or almond butter). The particle will stick to it and help it pass.

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
so sorry to hear about your faby! prayers of healing coming your way.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I've heard that both peanut butter and clay help-- clay is in those Manu mineral blocks and I think also Harrison's pellets.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I done a search and found this, interesting enough:

One method of treatment is the use of a chelating agent which binds with the zinc in the body and is then expelled. Injections of Calcium EDTA and D-penicillamine have been used. There is also an oral chelating agent, DMSA (dimercaptosuccinic acid).

Winged Wisdom Magazine. The A - Zinc of Zinc Poisoning in Birds

However, I have seen peanut butter mentioned A LOT. I hope Henri is better soon.

crismas

Moving in
Real Name
Cristina
Thanks for all the quick feedback. I will definitely give your suggestions a try (pb, etc.)

Henri was on Calcium EDTA injections over the weekend and is now taking the oral DMSA. Her vet says that the DMSA will bind to any zinc that gets into her blood stream/ body from the particle trapped in her digestive tract, and keep her from getting sick, but that the particle will need to pass through to eliminate the source/ problem (unfortunately she thinks this is a 50/50 probability due to the size of the particle and the tissue density where it is currently trapped :()

Thank you so much for all the well wishes, I know this will help with her recovery.

Also - any favorite cage manufacturers? materials? I want to replace her current cage and was considering SS but is sooooo pricey. King Cages makes an anodized aluminum cage now and they say it is also very safe.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks for all the quick feedback. I will definitely give your suggestions a try (pb, etc.)

Henri was on Calcium EDTA injections over the weekend and is now taking the oral DMSA. Her vet says that the DMSA will bind to any zinc that gets into her blood stream/ body from the particle trapped in her digestive tract, and keep her from getting sick, but that the particle will need to pass through to eliminate the source/ problem (unfortunately she thinks this is a 50/50 probability due to the size of the particle and the tissue density where it is currently trapped :()

Thank you so much for all the well wishes, I know this will help with her recovery.

Also - any favorite cage manufacturers? materials? I want to replace her current cage and was considering SS but is sooooo pricey. King Cages makes an anodized aluminum cage now and they say it is also very safe.
Aluminum is a great material for cages. Right up there with SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.