• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker Sighting

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Green Quaker with clipped wings seen in Fairfield County, CT. (Can't give exact location for safety reasons)

I'm trying to catch it, but it seems to have roosted for the night and stopped calling. I'm going to look for it again at 5 (sunrise) tomorrow.

:quaker:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am looking for him now, but so far I've only heard sounds that make me worried. (Red tailed hawk, red shouldered hawk, blue jays, ect.)

I hope I can find him, but he might have left the neighborhood last night, because the wind last night (soft, but still there) would definitely carry him away if he used it :(

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Still haven't seen or heard him, I assume he went south (wind direction) so he's probably in the woods somewhere.

The red lines are where we saw him, and the dotted lines are my guesses for where he went. (I covered nearby road names) He was in my neighbor's backyard.

20200619_072306.jpg

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So you found him?
We saw him there yesterday, he was flying between the trees so we couldn't catch him, he came closer when we played Quaker sounds, but then he flew into the woods in the evening, I haven't seen or heard him today :(

The house off the the left has a nice pond :lol:
That house's driveway used to count as a road on Google maps because it's so long :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Same about the quaker. At least he went towards the road and the other houses, so maybe somebody got him?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Same about the quaker. At least he went towards the road and the other houses, so maybe somebody got him?
We posted about him on local groups, but anyone who owns him in Connecticut is an illegal owner. (I did think of this scenario: "you get a Quaker as your first bird, you love him, then you have to move to Connecticut. Do you bring your bird and go to a vet in New York or Massachusetts because you can't in CT, or do you rehome your bird before moving?)

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What birds are illegal there then?
Quakers are illegal in Connecticut because feral groups ruined power line polls and made huge nests, there are still some feral flocks in Stratford CT and New York, but in New York they're not illegal like they are here.

I'm not sure about any other birds specific to the state, but spix macaws are illegal (extinct in the wild) and some other highly endangered macaw species are also illegal in the US.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Macaws are the same in all new world countries I should imagine
Quakers are better in cold weather (it snows here), and live farther south, (Argentina I believe?) So they do better in the wild here than a macaw would (plus, they blend in perfectly with the maples)

I hope the little guy is doing ok, I still haven't seen or heard him.

Reactions: Ali