• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Quaker, Regurgitation or vomit? Normal behavior or ill?

Citrunelli

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Hannah
I have a quaker parrot named Pickles. He is around 8 to 9 years old.
He was given some dried cranberries last night as an only option for food.
I used to feed him the fruit blend of ZuPreem pellets, but I've stopped giving him those due to finding out how unhealthy they really are, and also finding what looked to be regurgitated pellets.
But back to the main problem: He had eaten some dried cranberries last night, and completely threw it all up. He did have the bobbing head motion, along with moving his crop around. But it looked like he was vomiting. This happened a little bit before 10pm last night.
He had drank multiple sips of water afterwards, and ended up regurgitating that out as well... it comes out like a trickle from a faucet. That was some time passed 10pm last night.
Every time after he throws up, he is lethargic looking, sleepy. At that time, no real heavy breathing occurred.
At this point, I'm thinking it's hypovitaminosis of vitamin A from the cranberries, since i know that causes vomiting, not regurgitation.
But just this morning, he has only drank water, and the same thing has occurred. He's thrown up the water. But now, he's developed dropping wings, open beak breathing, and potentially throwing up again, all after too much movement. He makes himself look really skinny by lowering down his feathers.
I've tried giving him limited sips of water now, rather than just having him chug it. And he hasn't regurgitated the water. But i am afraid to feed him.
I'm going to be grinding up some cooked beans for him in a processor and slowly feed him, to see if he regurgitates that.
But I'm terrified; this hasn't happened before. He's never thrown up this much before. I have had a conversation with a vet, but they're just suggesting it's a blockage in his crop. But i don't know... i can answer any specifics truthfully if you can help me.
And i an new to this site, so this is my first post.

Citrunelli

Real Name
Hannah
I am hand feeding him small pinches of ground up beans, and taking only 1 to 2 sips of water slowly. I'm waiting to see how his crop processes this. He is currently normal: slight beak grinding, fluffy, no tail bobbing, preening, and chirpy.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think a balanced diet (pellets as well as healthy fresh foods) is a much better option than what you say you’re offering your bird right now- dried fruits are high in sugars and won’t contain all the nutritional amounts our birds need.
Given your description of your birds appearance, diet changes, and recent behaviours I personally would be wanting a vet appointment with a qualified avian vet.

Citrunelli

Real Name
Hannah
I think a balanced diet (pellets as well as healthy fresh foods) is a much better option than what you say you’re offering your bird right now- dried fruits are high in sugars and won’t contain all the nutritional amounts our birds need.
Given your description of your birds appearance, diet changes, and recent behaviours I personally would be wanting a vet appointment with a qualified avian vet.
I was in contact with some vets yesterday. One if the vets is informing me that it's just hormonal behavior.
He hasn't had a freezing episode or regurgitated again today, or yesterday. But, now, after he eats, he moves his crop around. And it's not normal movement for regurgitation- its just the crop that's moving. He isn't yawning either, because i know that birds do that when they're adjusting their crop.
He's acting usually normal besides that. He's staying up on his perch in his cage preening and in the sleeping position sometimes.
He keeps showing signs of wanting to eat, appetite has not been lost.
He's sneezed a couple times but there was no mucus, just the regular spray and little drops after it.