• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kendallmp

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kendall
Hello, I bought Taro (now 10-11 months) at a pet store. I was told that he had bitten off one of his toe because of the stress of moving into the store. Knowing this I still got him and hadn’t had issues with anything until now. He has been plucking his tail feathers?? I found one feather on the floor the other day and brushed it off as an accident but the next day I see another that has been plucked off? Is this plucking or preening? I’m super worried and want to help him. Here is a video of watching him mess with them and second is the feather with the shaft split from chewing?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Kendall, Welcome to the Avenue,

Sorry, it wouldn´t let me see the video.

is the feather with the shaft split from chewing?
Yes, but I know that my lovebirds will do this to their naturally moulted feathers. It moults out as a perfect feather, then they will pick at it and shred it exactly like yours in the photo.

Kendallmp

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kendall
Hello Kendall, Welcome to the Avenue,

Sorry, it wouldn´t let me see the video.

Yes, but I know that my lovebirds will do this to their naturally moulted feathers. It moults out as a perfect feather, then they will pick at it and shred it exactly like yours in the photo.
Okay good! Thank you for easing my worries haha!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomegroup: