• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Quaker Parrot bite wound

Jta32

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Josh
I have two Quaker parrots and they have been free flying for quite sometime. I recently hired a babysitter and in an effort to keep the birds confined to their cages and their perch I clipped their wings.
I came home at lunch to find one of my birds on the ground and he had obviously been terrorized by my two dogs. I have two very small Bishon Frise dogs. They didn't attack Picalo my parrot but they were certainly way too rough. Picalo is missing all of his tail feathers now and he has a small red irritated red spot on his back it isn't bleeding but looks like a small wound. I have rinsed him with warm water and have wrapped him in a blanket. I'm just holding him, keeping him warm, and comforting him right now. I'm more concerned about possible infection and shock than anything. His wings are fine and his feet are fine. He walks and flaps his wings but is most certainly in distress. I live in a very rural part of Colorado and have no access to a Vet. I have read that triple antibiotic cream is ok for them and that you should keep them warm to prevent shock. I don't know what else to do but am concerned for his well being.
Thank you.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
He needs to see a vet. Dogs have something (I don't remember the name) in their saliva that is toxic to birds. Even if your bird seems fine, he needs to be seen.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You are correct to be worried about infection. If it is a puncture wound it will not take long for infection to take over the bird.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
You need to take your bird to an Avian Vet, so your little one can be comfortable. Although, he appears to be okay he could have a broken bone. If he doesn't have anything broken, he will be bruised and very sore, he likely needs some pain medication. I can't stress enough, that he should be seen by an AVIAN vet if you have one available. It was very stressful for your bird, so he does need medical attention. Keep him warm and hydrated until the appointment.

Jta32

Real Name
Josh
I have vets in the area but none that will even see a bird. There is access to medical care but it is a two hour drive. Thank you for your help.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
If you can get someone to take you there, that would be the best.
There is nothing we can do to help your little bird, he needs a vet.

Look for information on how to keep a sick bird warm, hydrated and to set up a hospital cage for him if he takes to it.

Bailey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Dogs have pasteurella in their saliva..it can kill your bird if left untreated. Take your bird to a vet; if they need to they can call an avian vet to decide what medicine and the dosage to use.

Jta32

Real Name
Josh
Thank you all, I'm keeping him in a box with soft t shirts and a warm sock of rice to keep his temperature up and keep him warm. I've called and scheduled an appointment with an avian vet two and half hours away. The local vet here wouldn't see him and suggested an avian vet to me. I hope that he will be fine through the night before I can take him to the vet tomorrow. He is drinking a a little water and I have a small cage that I can use to transport him. I've read some other threads on this forum and gleaned as much information as I can to help him until I can see the vet so thank you very much.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Keep asking questions Josh, we are here to help you with your little bird. I am glad to read he will be seen. He just needs to stick it out until then.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad you going to take him to a vet, just keep him warm and make sure he's drinking, you don't want him to dehydrate.

Now that your birds are clipped, and have no way to get away from your dogs, I would strongly suggest finding a way to keep the dogs completely out of the area the birds are in so you don't find a worse situation in the future.

Good luck tomorrow, I'll be keeping your little Quaker in my thoughts. :hug8:

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
A bird the size of a Quaker should never be in the same room/area with a dog or cat - they are simply too small, and will automatically be considered prey.

I'm glad you're taking him to an avian vet - what happened is life threatening. If it makes you feel any better about the drive, many of us drive two or more hours on a regular basis to see our avian vets.

Your little guy will be in my thoughts. Quakers are special.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Most of us drive 2-3 hours one way to see an avian vet. We are going tomorrow to take our girl who is not feeling well. Many prayers your baby isn't seriously hurt and that you have a safe journey there and back.

Ginger

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am glad that you're going to take him to the vet asap. It is absolutely imperative.:)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Let us know any updates when you can

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have vets in the area but none that will even see a bird. There is access to medical care but it is a two hour drive. Thank you for your help.
A two hour drive isn't so bad. I have to go an hour each way for basic vet care. There is another vet I've been to that is about 2.5 hours away if I need a second opinion. Its a pain, but knowing my bird died when I could have done something would be worse. You might want to contact The Gabriel Foundation. They are in CO and probably know of some good vets. I know CO has some decent avian vets, but as you said, its a matter of how much you love the bird. Do you love it enough to take up 4-5 hours of your time to save it? Or are you okay if it dies if your home remidy doesn't work. Thats really what this boils down to. Puncture wounds can be decieving. Many times they don't bleed and parrots don't have as much blood in as many places as people do. So sometimes things can be bad and not look it because its not bleeding like it does for a mammal. Again, being attacked by another pet is one of those situations, you just get to a vet period. Thats just the way it is.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you all, I'm keeping him in a box with soft t shirts and a warm sock of rice to keep his temperature up and keep him warm. I've called and scheduled an appointment with an avian vet two and half hours away. The local vet here wouldn't see him and suggested an avian vet to me. I hope that he will be fine through the night before I can take him to the vet tomorrow. He is drinking a a little water and I have a small cage that I can use to transport him. I've read some other threads on this forum and gleaned as much information as I can to help him until I can see the vet so thank you very much.
Excellent decision. Please let us know how he is doing. Many times we don't hear back and are left wondering.